UP Saddlebag Trip

doo_sled

I am planning a UP saddlebag trip for this winter and am looking for some input on the 1st leg of the journey. Does anyone know the best route to take from North Twin Lake (WI) to Marquette, MI? Also what the estimated mileage would be and lodging recommendations around Marquette?

mguth

As far as lodging, if you want to stay IN Marquette, the Holiday Inn is right on a trail. Careful of other hotels that "say" they are right on the trail (like a SUPER hotel), we made that mistake last year when we saddlebaged to MQT. Fortunetly Holiday Inn still had rooms available. I think there are some places on the south side of MQT along the lake also though.

Otherwise there's a few places in Ispheming that you can access right from the trail.

rakins800

I suggest the Ishpeming area. it is ON the trail (8). they are advertisers on this site. country village inn. they have 2 hotels,and vacation homes for rent. stayed in the vac. homes. VERY nice and reasonable. my .02

rev500

Watch your speed going through Marquette. They are serious about the speed limit. Saddlebagging is great. My son and I went from the Soo to Copper Harbor and back and had one of the best times of our lives. Temps ranged from 38 to -17.

tim_h

Forget all the planning ! Just load up the bags and wing it. I did on 6 night trip it was one of the best trips i ever took...

timmay75

It's been a few years since I was in the Ishpeming/Marquette area, but I recommend staying at the Best Western Jasper Ridge in Ishpeming. The trail goes right to the hotel. When you are in for the night, go to the Jasper Ridge brewery for a good dinner and excellent microbrews. The hotel (actually 2 Best Westerns) and brewery are all together in the same area. It's a short walk from one of the hotels to the brewery. Marquette never seemed snowmobile friendly. You can go around Marquette, but you can't actually go through the city or get to anything by snowmobile.

edmarino

I say follow famousguy's recomendation and follow the groomer during the week you can find a place in most areas stoping when you have had enough for the day. It's the only way to go and enjoy,I have never not been able to find a place to stay at the end of the day. This of course is during the week not weekends, when things are more likely full especially hot spots.

bobsledder

A bud and I have done this for several years and it is a blast! Plan your week end nights only as a room may be hard to find. otherwise falow the snow. Marquette has 1 trail in and 1 hotel at the end that you can get to legally. It is s large city with large city ways. We went on to Ishbimming and found great people and a reasonable room. We were in Copper harbor and heard the schools were closed in the area south of Marquette so we went there and rode fresh powder for 2 days. FREEDOM!!!

limey

I am the organiser for a group that does this every year. Attached is the itinerary for our Jan 2010 trip complete with estimated mileage and lodging information. There are embedded web links for map sites, hotels, and some restaurants. This should help with your planning.

I would not stay in Marquette and would recommend staying in Ispheming. The Jasper Rider hotel is right across the street from the brew pub.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_pdf.gif
2010 Cross U.P. Saddlebag Trip Itinerary
2010 Wisconsin and Michigan Snowmobile Ride sanitised.pdf (529.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

frnash

<font color="0000ff">limey</font>:
I am still very much impressed with the thoroughly researched and extremely well written itinerary. Excellent work!

Just one question:
Day Four, Wednesday: Ishpeming to Copper Harbor, 240-285 miles
This segment of the trip includes 16 miles between Chassell and Hancock, but does not address the exact route.

Since this route segment has been an issue for the last several years, some clarification may be appropriate.

The distance (16 miles) suggests that this is not the old railroad grade route, generally following the canal to the lift bridge, which would probably be more like 9-10 miles. As far as I know, the status of that route remains in question for this year.

In addition, the alternative via the Chassell to Painesdale segment of route 15 to connect with route 3 near Painesdale, (which would probably yield a distance closer to the indicated 16 miles) has also been a problem in recent years, as apparently some landowner had revoked the trail easement.

Does anyone know the prospects for a Chassell-Hancock route for this year?

doug_miller

doo sled, I agree with famousguy in that the best bag trips only plan is to have fun. We have been doing them for years and at first, we would have a complete route planned but find we always deviated. Just look out for the rare potential of hitting a town on a night where finding a hotel might be tight.

Now, we simply discuss a direction and go. They are always a great time

edmarino

Now that I have Gerbing's heated clothing and a 12volt outlet on my sled, the only thing need to bag it, is a change of underwear and a toothbrush. It really makes things easier. A lot less stuff to try and bring a long for temp. changes. Just a twist of the dial. Your good from sub zero temp and I mean 30,40 below to 30,40 above.

edmarino

Of course my wife has all the same gear so I never hear from her that she is uncomfortable regardless of temperture.And it is a lot easier for her to bag it now also. While it is expensive to get equipped, it pays for it self many times over. In many different ways,just think about it.

I second the suggestion of Ishpeming for sure. We stayed at the Best Western (906.485.6345) last year and it is directly on the trail, w/pool & hot tub, next to a Country Kitchen for breakfast and within walking distance to two bars @ night. Also google it because last year I printed a web coupon that gave us 20% off. Plus you're within a day of Copper Harbor in one direction or the Soo in the other, and close enough to hit Big Bay wich is a nice little ride regardless of the directin you are going to go.

racerx

Ishpeming & Big Bay where two places we have never been in between Marq & Sidnaw and last year we backpacked from Lando to Ish with the Lando club, stayed at the Best Western had a good time. So I would recommend that. The previous year was Lando to the Parkview which gave us a lot of options and this year we are doing Lando to Hancock and I'm looking forward to that since on our previous trip to Parkview our sub-group did not make Copper (place we hav not been yet) due to the threat of rain and warm conditions.