UP snow type

2blue4u

What type of moisutre content do you expect with the snow coming for the UP today thru Friday? In other words...is this going to be a lake-effect snow or more of a system snow with "lake enhancement"?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
More of a system with some lake enhancement. It will start out wet and heavy, as it already has here at my house and then change to a drier snow by later this evening, so mostly a dense, but dry snow. Not the LES fluff. Only the final 12 hours of the snow event will be primarily LES.

-John

whitedust

Funny you asked type of snow. It is soooooo wet in Phelps 43 today I really wondered how this new snowfall will repair the trails? Going to take cold temps to freeze base but that might not happen with snowfall insulation. I'm thinking of waiting for cold to set up trails or we might burn it down quick & snowfall has been hard to get in 1st place. Wait & see how this ends up I guess.

2blue4u

I think a little heavier snow will be just what you need...temps are supposed to be below normal for the next few days and I would think with overnight lows in the single digits, that would be enough to set-up this new snow for a great base. I'm on my way up to White Pine this afternoon...coming from SE MN. I haven't put a single mile on the sleds this year (I think we had more snow in SE MN at this time last year than the U.P.) so I'm not gonna be fussy about trail conditions, snow type or temperatures...just the sight of snow will make it a great weekend!