Upper sights give it a try

dab102999

I noticed most post in the Motorcycle Forum seem to be pretty outdated but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways. Going to be taken and extended family vacation with no particular place to go with no particular time frame at the end of the month Andover July 4th week. Only place I know for sure we're going to do is tunnel of the trees comma probably go up around Sue Saint Marie probably Whitefish Point maybe Grand Island picture Rock will be in there that little Lake down in the center that's got the string attached to the boat that use go out and look at all the little fishies. Up into the Keweenaw area Copper Harbor try to look for some mines. Lake of the clouds. So with all that said over the years of snowmobiling I've seen most of these areas except for the Keweenaw peninsula period only been up in there one time so I really don't know where anything is up there. So I guess what I'm asking is what are you guys recommend for Quick Stop's or sites I must see while doing this. Only thing going to do for sure is probably have the first part of the trip be across the top side h58 type stuff in case the wife doesn't like the bridge on a bike and we end up having to come home through Wisconsin. I want the kids to see Lake Superior and a couple things else up there that they haven't experienced. With all that said I'm figuring around the 4th to be at least Munising or west of that so who's got good fireworks to see while over in that area. Look forward to any responses thank you for the help shiny side up

snipes517

im in the same boat, going to be stayin up in Lac La Belle for the 4th at a relatives, I have seen everything and been everywhere on sleds but first time on a bike up there. Curious to see what responses we get on here.

Thanks in advance

MZEMS2

Interesting you posted this one. I posted a very similar one a while ago, but now it's gone. I think John might have "purged" some older threads. Anyway, I got a lot of replies pointing out the places that you already have in mind. We've been to the U.P on the bike before and it's quite a bit different in the summer. That sounds weird, but some of the scenery is better, and some is not as nice. Sounds like a fun trip....we never did ours...we went south instead.

Wyelde

In the Keweenaw, one must do is the Brockway mountain drive. Great overlooks at the top, and a little further on, a great overlook of Copper Harbor.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
When you are in the Keweenaw and "on the island" (north of Houghton), be sure to take Hwy 26 down through Eagle River and Eagle Harbor, then you can shoot up Brockway Mountain Drive and drop down into Copper Harbor. On the way back down, turn off on the road to Lac La Belle and follow that to Gay, then from Gay either to Mohawk or Lake Linden and back down to Houghton/Hancock. Lots of road riding right along side the lake with beautiful views on 26 and from LLB to Gay.

-John

pez

I saw somewhere a "7 waterfalls in 8 hours" ride. Of course I can't find, so I am re-creating it in Google maps. Was planning on doing the ride in July

dwz

Our group is leaving Aug. 14 for the UP trip, and will be going from east to west. We will be UP there all week and visit same sites as we do on sleds in the winter. Really going through UP withdrawall about this time of the year, so we are really pumped!

dab102999

Thank you all for your responsed. Ended up being a different trip then planned. My bike went down and my boys acted up so we caged it, did the south route (2) across and hit Big Springs and bond falls, up to lake of the clouds, played around in the Key for a couple days and did a couple mine tours, Pitcure rocks, Grand Marie, Teq falls, went up to the straigts and ended the week with a day on The Mac. The Mac and the Straights were the only things I haven't seen before so that was cool but my daughter and daughter in law had never seen any of it and of course it was all differnet without feet of snow on the ground. We lucked out our whole trip and it would rain when we were in the cage but clear up evertime we stopped. Only think we had to put bug spray on one day and no flies so couldn't ask for anything better as far as that goes.

dwz

Oh YAH! 6am departure time and plan on spending first night on the north side of the bridge in the UP. Tuesday night in Munising, Wednesday in Copper Harbor, Thursday in Greenland{where I hold the office of MAYOR,just ask Beer Belly Bob}, Friday back in the lower around Boyne Mountain, Saturday back home to our familys. Three of us total, and the other two have never been UP in the summer or on bikes so we are really excited!