Vilas county trails closed...

windingtrailgal

;(

We were up in Eagle River mid Feb and trails were unrideable. Sad sad sad...

First time in 15 years we haven't ridden at least once in NW of WI.

Banjo Man

We were in Boulder Junction on 2/16/11. Temps were 55 degrees and sunny.
There was a guy sitting on a lawn chair in his backyard in a t-shirt, grilling and drinking a beer. I should have known then that spring is coming early.

smokenjoe

We were up in the Winchester area last Friday through Monday rode the trails Sat. and Sunday from Presque Isle, Winchester, Wakefield, Bessemer and Lake Gogebic put on over 200 miles did'nt pass another sled on the trails conditions were very good. This was the most enjoyable riding all season because no one else was really up there. To bad the season is over I never get enough riding in.

Attachments

• blackberry pictures 044.jpg
    blackberry pictures 044.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 126
  • blackberry pictures 042.jpg
    blackberry pictures 042.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 116
  • blackberry pictures 032.jpg
    blackberry pictures 032.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 109
F

fusion

Bad year in northern WI

This was the worst season I've seen in riding in Vilas and Iron County since 1993. I haven't touched my sled since early February. I couldn't ride from 4 miles west of ER to get north. Might have been rideable between then and now if I would have trailered, but I won't do that to ride WI. Season started off so good until that meltdown late during Christmas week, just before New Years. Unbelievable they never got consistent system snow and cold after that. Just an unbelievable bad season of riding. I am SO glad I didn't shell out cash for a new sled this year.

Next season for sure, I will bite the bullet and buy a couple of MI passes and ride the UP.
Anything other than north of Pine Lake in Iron Cty., and areas of northern Bayfield just aren't consistently good enough in WI.

smokenjoe

I know that if did suck this year, least amount of miles on my sled in 6 years. We were up the day after xmas and rode hard for 3 days because the big melt down was coming, rode 450 miles all in the western U.P. Could'nt get anyone to go back up in Jan when it was good and then had the Feb. 16-20 planned, came back up and had another melt down 30 miles total for that trip. Last weekends trip was with my wife, had to come home on Monday, if we could have stayed it would of been another great day of ridding. Only saw 3 other groups of riders on lake gogebic from the Hoop N Hollar to the Gogebic Lodge, that whole area recieved 5-6 inches of snow last week but because there was'nt any ridders it held up really well. My biggest problem is getting my friends to commit to a time to go, one minute there going the next minute there not, drives me crazy! Such a short season and it seems to get shorter each year.

Attachments

• xmas 2010 006.jpg
    xmas 2010 006.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 61
  • blackberry pictures 041.jpg
    blackberry pictures 041.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 59
  • blackberry pictures 028.jpg
    blackberry pictures 028.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 56

whitedust

I know that if did suck this year, least amount of miles on my sled in 6 years. We were up the day after xmas and rode hard for 3 days because the big melt down was coming, rode 450 miles all in the western U.P. Could'nt get anyone to go back up in Jan when it was good and then had the Feb. 16-20 planned, came back up and had another melt down 30 miles total for that trip. Last weekends trip was with my wife, had to come home on Monday, if we could have stayed it would of been another great day of ridding. Only saw 3 other groups of riders on lake gogebic from the Hoop N Hollar to the Gogebic Lodge, that whole area recieved 5-6 inches of snow last week but because there was'nt any ridders it held up really well. My biggest problem is getting my friends to commit to a time to go, one minute there going the next minute there not, drives me crazy! Such a short season and it seems to get shorter each year.

You have to ride alone to get the most of it. I got in about 1200 miles my buddy a whomping 300 & he can ride whenever he wants even to work. He just kept on looking at the trail snirt & waiting for better that never came. :)

thunderstruck88

i say it's sad you guys didnt get all the riding you wanted to do But it could be worse also you could be living in Japan and puting up with all the things they are Just be glad you got to ride at all Think snow + rock + roll and paying for the people in Japan and everyone else that has a disaster Have a great day!!!!!