warm ups

L

lenny

Hey John,
I see something consistent happening concerning warm ups. Often the warm up tops out 7-10 degrees higher than the prediction. What is it with warm ups that is hard to predict. Both thaws we have had so far were not predicted to be as warm as the actually were. Just curious as to the dynamics, like I'll understand anyways! I am referring to NWS as you do not give specific numbers generally on temps. Didn't we hit a record high in Houghton?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good question Len and one that I really do not have the answer to. It's happened in other years too, not just this one. What makes it even more complicated is that we have had a few warm ups that have been handled well by the models, so it's not like we can just take what the models are saying for each warm up and add (x) amount of degrees to offset their problems.

I have a strong feeling that the lake is playing an important role in some of these occurrences. I know that the models incorporate the lake into their programming, so it is just a case of them not handling that influence correctly.

We did hit a record high at the Houghton County Airport yesterday 42, before the sun even rose, then it fell to around 38 right at sunrise and stayed there the rest of the day.

-John

thebluff

when i came home to Ontonagon at 2 am Friday morning, it was 48 on both bank clocks. Grass is nice and green here (with a dusting on it). It was cool to swing out to Rockland and Mass today and see some snow. Surprised how deep it was.

Polarice

when i came home to Ontonagon at 2 am Friday morning, it was 48 on both bank clocks. Grass is nice and green here (with a dusting on it). It was cool to swing out to Rockland and Mass today and see some snow. Surprised how deep it was.

Is ontanogon out of the snow belt and receive minimal lake effect?

thebluff

right on the lakeshore gets a fraction the snow that happens inland just a few miles. usually about 4-5 miles in (halfway to Rockland), we see the snowbanks increase very rapidly.

dab102999

I noticed the same thing on the south of the state...we have been a prerty consistant 10 higher then the predicide high down here...which is bad enough at 40 just to see it hit 50's....even more wild that i still have 2 to 3" in the yard...