washer tab lock

alley mechanic

Hello all its been a while since i have been on here, well i just got done replacing the drive shaft bearings on my 2000 zl580 esr i have 2100 miles on it the pto side bearing was bad no grease in it but the angle gear was still working , when i took it apart the set screw was loose and the look collar was also loose mind you i bought this sled brand new , when i opend the chain case i found the long bolt that hold the reverse gear on also loose thank god the locking tab that hold the bolt from turning did its job which leads me to my question , the tear down and put back together went very smooth till i looked at the parts sheets that shows how the parts are put together it seems that i have put the tab lock on the reverse gear first than the washer , i dont think it would hurt any thing cause i dont want to pull it apart for this little issue what do you guys think .

Thank you alley mechanik

raceinsnow

The locking tab washer goes on the bolt first so it is under the head of the bolt then it folds up over a flat on the hex head. The reason for the locking tab is that gear goes forward the reverse and by doing that the gear will move a little bit and loosen the bolt. With the snow leaving us fast you should take the cover off and fix it so it is ready for next year.

alley mechanic

tab lock

thank you for that info, i was worried , in my parts break down they show a no tab lock just a lock washer and a washer but on the parts break down from web sites they show washer first than the tab lock right now its the tablock first than the washer so ill be ok.

thanks
alley mechanic

alley mechanic

just a correction in my parts break down in the factory service manuel thats where they dont show the tab lock just a lock washer but in my parts no manuel they show the tab lock either way i have it like you suggested.