Washout on Trail 3

snoden

The UP Superior Snowmobile club is reporting another washout, this time on trail 3 just South of Krupps Resort. They posted pics on their Facebook page.

old abe

The UP Superior Snowmobile club is reporting another washout, this time on trail 3 just South of Krupps Resort. They posted pics on their Facebook page.
We are not able to find out anything on this washout on trail 3? what's up with this?:unsure:
:unsure:

eao

I think its trail 13, not 3 that he was referring to.

old abe

Okay, thanks! That's all we could figure it to be but, wasn't sure. Old news.

warner

there is a small washout on trail 3 Bill Nichols trail south of the groomer shed..we went past it 2 weeks ago with the wheelers, were able to drive around it.

snoden

Nope, I was OP on the trail 13 Sleepy River bridge washout too. I saw their post about the washout on trail 3 just South of Krupps on trail reports.com.
there is a small washout on trail 3 Bill Nichols trail south of the groomer shed..we went past it 2 weeks ago with the wheelers, were able to drive around it.
This^

Last edited:

warner

346043187_205658805577274_2111868241241088991_n.jpg

snomoman

Is this a failed culvert, or a animal digging caved in?
Must of been an animal digging, I think it was a hibernating bear coming out of hibernation, poor guy was so asleep that he never heard the million snowmobile‘s that roared over his head …ha ha

elf

At least this one doesn’t look to complicated to fix, hopefully DNR doesn’t make it complicated.
Going to have to do an Environmental Impact Study, have at least 3 public forums to discuss the study. Then have to agree to make barriers walls on both sides of the trails so the sounds doesn't disturb the silent sports crowd along with building 50 more miles of trail for hikers/skiers in exchange for fixing this one. I think it'll be fixed in 7-8 years, no problem.

pclark

Or a shovel or 2 and a wheel barrow at night.
I can see wanting to find the right solution to a problem so that it doesn't happen again but most arms of Government are just detrimental to getting anything done these days, gridlock at it's worst. Like you said, in this case a wheel barrow and some gravel works with volunteer help. Whats so hard about making a decision to doing that?

xsledder

Going to have to do an Environmental Impact Study, have at least 3 public forums to discuss the study. Then have to agree to make barriers walls on both sides of the trails so the sounds doesn't disturb the silent sports crowd along with building 50 more miles of trail for hikers/skiers in exchange for fixing this one. I think it'll be fixed in 7-8 years, no problem.
You for got to add the federal grant to pay for it.

dfattack

I realize it takes money to do this but I wonder if people who love the sport and have equipment to make repairs will start making repairs themselves, especially the smaller washouts? I know liability plays a role in this and time of course. Wasn't that how it got done in the early days of trail maintenance? I don't have any equipment myself nor the time so yeah easy for me to say but just thinking out loud here.

pclark

I realize it takes money to do this but I wonder if people who love the sport and have equipment to make repairs will start making repairs themselves, especially the smaller washouts? I know liability plays a role in this and time of course. Wasn't that how it got done in the early days of trail maintenance? I don't have any equipment myself nor the time so yeah easy for me to say but just thinking out loud here.
Makes a lot sense to me, is it my imagination or are these issues more with Michigan/DNR? I don't hear those kinds of issues much when a trail needs to be repaired in Wisconsin.

snoden

If the private sector was able to make these kind of repairs it would already be done. Most likely we would never even know the washout happened. With the public sector well, like elf said....takes an act of god and then some.