Water filter

euphoric1

Purchasing a new trailer for our site, it has an "on demand" water heater in it, normally we would use the showers up at town hall due to our old trailer having a small tank heater and a small shower, ad as stated the new one has a "on demand " water heater and a nice walk in shower so plan on using it. Question... being a tankless heater and the fact we are on well, Is it a good idea to use an external water filter to prevent any build up that may occur in water heater? I have been looking and there are types that are self contained and then there are ones with replaceable element, looks like some of the ones that have replaceable elements actually remove dissolved heavy metals, and reading some feedback on self contained filters, you can run the risk of mold forming and most do not list that they remove heavy metals. Has any of my fellow JD'rs tried or use any of these products? the good? the bad? and ones to stay away from? Thanks!!!

heckler56

Get the well tested for what is in the water. When we bought a home in WI it had been unused for 9 months. The well was heavy with iron bacteria that required we flush the complete system with bleach/chlorine every 6 months. On my RV the system can be subject to mold in the system unless flushed also.

euphoric1

we are at a place that has some 600 seasonal sites, we are only there on weekends between april and october, in the past we have always allowed the water to run for a while when we first get there, I have no problem with the water, my wife's tummy doesn't do well with it. those blue in line self contained carbon filters say they can form mold inside and when not in use should be put if fridg and zip lock baggie to keep fresh, is this something I would have to do when we aren't ?there and have to do every time we leave between weekends? I really don't want to have to do that, besides doesn't really say anything about dissolved metals. Over the years with other trailer I have had to replace heating element twice due to build up, and I am guessing tankless heaters are equally or more proned to this issue.

whitedust

Pick and Save in Waterford and Burlington run sales on bottled water about $2 per case 24 sometimes 34 bottles. Guilty pleasure for us our water is pretty good but soooo convenient to just grab a cold bottle of H20. That’s how I threw my back out bought 6 cases loading and unloading from truck. Bottled water good for Theras tummy low cost insurance.

mrbb

as other said, get the well water tested, and know what you need to do to keep things flowing properly
and, yes use a filter and there are special set ups for maintaining the one demand heaters, they typically need to be cleaned at least once a yr, failure to do so will shorten there life span

dfattack

as other said, get the well water tested, and know what you need to do to keep things flowing properly
and, yes use a filter and there are special set ups for maintaining the one demand heaters, they typically need to be cleaned at least once a yr, failure to do so will shorten there life span
Agree with what you and Heckler said. This is the starting point. Search for a local water quality company so they can advise you on how to treat water based on the results. Make sure you know how to clean the tankless water heaters annually or as needed based on usage or lack of usage. I own numerous tankless heaters really like them. They are cleaned annually to lengthen the life.

Last edited:

heckler56

If you are in Wisconsin look up the local “dairy producer’s co-op”, they run tests for a fraction of the cost and give you the kit.

mrbb

there are also free online water testing company;s that will send you a test kit and even test a water sample you send them, for free

BUT keep in mind, some water tests to get results on all things require the water to be cold , as is from time from tap to time tested,
I live near a local Lab that offers tests there like 10 miles from me, and they too give tests kits,
every time I have a sample tested they require me to have it on ice till I get it there, and then they test it right then and there(charge like 10 bucks I on last test)

but here is one of the on line one test , they will test for many things and pretty sure this one is free, minus any shipping costs to them

https://www.aquascience.net/free-water-test/

yamadooed

Go to Menards and buy a reverse osmosis filter setup for your RV. This should handle most of the issues mentioned with the well water supply.

dfattack

Some tankless water heaters may not last too long with RO water. It tends to be more acidic and can corrode the heating element. Water treatment guys/girls please correct me if I’m wrong.

heckler56

Some tankless water heaters may not last too long with RO water. It tends to be more acidic and can corrode the heating element. Water treatment guys/girls please correct me if I’m wrong.
I think you are correct. I learned this as we plumbed it into our frig water and corroded all the metal fittings in short order.

dfattack

I think you are correct. I learned this as we plumbed it into our frig water and corroded all the metal fittings in short order.

Interesting. I’ve used RO water for my ice makers for over 20 years with no problems. They are plastic lines which is ok. Did your frig have copper likes?

heckler56

Interesting. I’ve used RO water for my ice makers for over 20 years with no problems. They are plastic lines which is ok. Did your frig have copper likes?
Copper/brass connections along with line. The line was ok but the connections went and the older frig had a metal fitting also.