Waterfals

hens

I have friends from Germany coming around Easter and they will be in the UP. There should be some pretty active waterfalls that time of year. Does anyone know of some particularly good ones? They have hiked in the mts of Italy so I don't think hiking to some would be a problem. Any other suggestions on places to see would be good too. Thanks!!

hens

groomerdave

Laughing Whitefish falls, Munising Falls, Miner's falls, Dead River Falls are among my favorites. Dead River Falls might take a local to help you find.
Think Snow! - Dave

frnash

<font color="0000ff">"Dead River Falls might take a local to help you find."</font>
Funny how common that is in da UP.
'Tis something I have observed since at least the 1950's.

There a great abundance of both natural features (such as waterfalls, and others) and cultural features (as from the copper mining days of yore), in the UP, but generally they have neither been "developed" nor "promoted" to any significant extent. You're lucky to find a highway sign. Example: O-Kun-De-Kun Falls (see an aerial view here) which for decades lacked even a highway sign along US-45, still with some unimproved (i.e. wet, muddy) trails (the best ones). Even Michigan's one really substantial waterfall, Upper Tahquamenon Falls (Michigan's "Niagara Falls", a.k.a. Root Beer Falls), see Tahquamenon Falls State Park is certainly not heavily promoted. (In a way, I can understand a lack of enthusiasm for turning such pristine beauty into a "Niagara Falls"!)

Similarly, the development of even the premier copper mining era feature in the Copper Country, the Quincy Mine, with the prominent hoist house atop the hill above Hancock by the Quincy Mine Hoist Association is still very much a work in progress, for the past 51 years, with a long way to go.

Another work-in-progress, the Champion #4 Shafthouse, acquired on October 25, 1996(!), saving the historic structure from the clutches of the scrapper's torch, and now undergoing restoration by Painesdale Mine & Shaft, Inc.

Not to mention the one-of-a-kind Quincy Smelter, which was allowed to deteriorate to its present state over 40-plus years before any serious restoration efforts were initiated. See the Quincy Smelter Association.

Of course it's not entirely due to indifference, with the "cultural features", it largely comes down to money, never in abundant supply in da UP.