Watersmeet to Makinac Island

jrg

Can someone give me an idea how many miles and/or how long a trip it would be from Watersmeet to St Ignace and the Ice Bridge? I would also appreciate tips on places to stay, eat, avoid, etc. We know our way around the Western UP, but have never traveled the Eastern UP. Thanks!!

sweeperguy

Can someone give me an idea how many miles and/or how long a trip it would be from Watersmeet to St Ignace and the Ice Bridge? I would also appreciate tips on places to stay, eat, avoid, etc. We know our way around the Western UP, but have never traveled the Eastern UP. Thanks!!

Don't think there is enough snow in the vicinity of St Ignace to ride as of yet. The temps this year over that way makes me think the Ice Bridge probably won't happen this year. My Dad lives in the Soo and the river in front of his house is open water. You'll want to make some phone calls before you commit to that route for a ride.

1fujifilm

Don't think there is enough snow in the vicinity of St Ignace to ride as of yet. The temps this year over that way makes me think the Ice Bridge probably won't happen this year. My Dad lives in the Soo and the river in front of his house is open water. You'll want to make some phone calls before you commit to that route for a ride.

True.
Best to start in Munising not Watersmeet when there is snow.

polarisrider1

Note: the ice bridge is NOT a given. Years can go by without it opening. It was a bucket list item for me. You have to jump at it when it opens. Well worth it.

xpr800

From Watersmeet to St.Iggy is 350 to 450ish miles 1 way depending on which route you take, this year you are not getting to Mak Island on a snowmobile, not enough ice on Lake Huron. Also not enough snow as of now to take the South #2 trails across the U.P. Depending on trail conditions, your riding style & the size of your group, it could take a day or as much as 3 days to get there. I would take 8 across then South East to Seney or Newberry then down to Ignace from there. I have done a perimeter ride of the U.P. a few years ago & did 1100 miles in 3 days but snow conditions were perfect, it was during the week & our group of 4 are hard core dusk to dark aggressive riders. Good luck on your plans for that trip, its a good ride & its pretty cool to tour the Island on something with an engine in it. Ride far & ride safe!

Snirtdawg

"hard core dusk to dark aggressive riders' You guys must get in about 15 minutes of good riding a day! Just kidding! Our group rides the same timeframe and let the zombies have the night!

Go Fast or Go Home

Ice Bridge NOT open. Bay still has open water. Trails in the Eastern U.P are rated as fair to good right now with a big snow (Kayla) expected tomorrow and Wednesday. Our group arriving in St. Ignace on Wednesday through Sunday.

More snow as you get farther North. Trails are rated as good toward Paradise and the Soo. The 500 race is this weekend as well.

sweeperguy

More snow as you get farther North. Trails are rated as good toward Paradise and the Soo. The 500 race is this weekend as well.

My info for the area says Cedarville to the Soo are poor to fair. Detour to Kinross is poor even has wet areas to avoid. Soo to Brimley poor to fair. Even MSA trail report says only 1-4 on 8 between Soo and Brimley, they called it good early season, but I'd call it poor.
West of and North of Brimley it gets much better. But even Bay Mills groomer report sounds like not real good conditions. Groomers been out is about all they will say.
Paradise west to Gr. Marais and Newberry west past Munising is all very good.
Hopefully this next weather system spruces things up since I'll be that way myself for the race.

Ebstein91

I'll be up in Munising to Paradise for the first time Wednesday through Sunday. Any tips for must see's in that area? I have pictured rock and Teq. Falls on the list. Anything else? Any super sweet trails that are a must? We prefer the bigger high speed twisties like 107 down by Watersmeet.

So whats this 500 race? Whats the route?

sweeperguy

I'll be up in Munising to Paradise for the first time Wednesday through Sunday. Any tips for must see's in that area? I have pictured rock and Teq. Falls on the list. Anything else? Any super sweet trails that are a must? We prefer the bigger high speed twisties like 107 down by Watersmeet.

So whats this 500 race? Whats the route?

The I-500 is a 500 mile race on a 1 mile oval ice track. It's in Sault Ste Marie this would be the 48th annual race. It's always run the first Saturday of February. It's known as the crown jewel in the triple crown of ice oval racing. A full week of events and winter carnival type atmosphere.
Trail #8 from Gr. Marais towards Paradise is nice. Then up to white fish point I think is must, I think its 452 or 453 then loop back to Paradise.
Tahquamenon Falls is a DEFINITE must see. All riding in that area is going to be well worth the trip. ENJOY.
From Marquette headed East. trail 417 has a place called Lakenenland, you need to see this. East of Munising before you get to Shingleton, there is a spur trail that goes North to Miners Tower, very cool to see in the winter. Lakeshore trail to Grand Marais # 89 has nice views of the Pictured Rocks Shoreline & Log Slide is also on this trail. Then 8 to Paradise has some light house trails, then on to the whitefish point trail, another spur takes you to the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald & shipwreck museum, its closed in the winter. Then down to the Tahquamenon Falls, its worth the walk to see that also. There is lots of other stuff on the eastern side of the U.P. but you would need a few days to see it all.

Last edited:

Ebstein91

The I-500 is a 500 mile race on a 1 mile oval ice track. It's in Sault Ste Marie this would be the 48th annual race. It's always run the first Saturday of February. It's known as the crown jewel in the triple crown of ice oval racing. A full week of events and winter carnival type atmosphere.
Trail #8 from Gr. Marais towards Paradise is nice. Then up to white fish point I think is must, I think its 452 or 453 then loop back to Paradise.
Tahquamenon Falls is a DEFINITE must see. All riding in that area is going to be well worth the trip. ENJOY.

Awesome thanks Sweeperguy. Whats a good place to eat in Grand Marais? Is Pictured Rock access of of trail 89? I'm pumped sounds like they got close to 2 feet out of this storm.

The pizza is very good at Lake Superior Brewing.

We found much better riding when we avoided the hotel city hubs last week. Ride down to the lower loops. We hit a loop last week and didn't see another sled for over 50 miles.