Weather History

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi John,
I was reading earlier today of the current drought conditions across the U.S. Many are comparing it to the drought of the 1930's during the Great Depression. My question is this, were the winters of those years Low Snow years here in the midwest? I'm not sure where one would go for that data but thought a meteorologist might have access to those records or knowledge of that time period.
I would think it stands to reason that if you have a full blown drought in the summer, those conditions would continue regardless of the season. Any thoughts?

Gary

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Snowfall data from those years is much more limited than it is these days and is even questionable in it's reliability as there were no set methods for measuring. I have noticed that the data for the Calumet area becomes noticeably low as you go much earlier than the late 40's or early 50's. That is when the was a more standardized method for measuring.

Any drought will continue until enough precip falls to end it, so seasons themselves have no reflection on drought status. It's not a "warm" season thing, it is all about moisture- or lack thereof.

-John