Weather Models?

robinson

Hi John,

Just curious what type of weather models you use? Do you use a particular program, website, etc.? Is it free to the public or is this something you need to purchase?

I just think it would be quite fun to watch these and learn a little bit more about the weather!

Thanks,

Neil

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I actually use about a dozen different sources. Some are pay to play, others are free like NWS and university sites.

I almost exclusively use raw, but plotted, data. Meaning no computer program or human has messed with it to help make it more understandable to the general public. However, you can find lots of cool stuff within the NWS sites. You just have to start exploring.

-John

meoget

I would recommend the Android/iPhone app Windy. So much data to look at, plus you get to change the forecast model between 3 different types.

frnash

… Just curious what type of weather models you use?
… I just think it would be quite fun to watch these and learn a little bit more about the weather! …

I actually use about a dozen different sources. Some are pay to play, others are free … You just have to start exploring.
With some diligent searching, er …"exploring", I've found some of those Weather Models.

As you say robinson, some might be be quite fun to watch, others not so much. :devilish:
As you see, there are many different models, from a variety of places:

WM01.jpg

WM02.jpg

WM03.jpg

WM04.jpg
Ooops!

Наталья Климен&#10.jpg
Наталья Клименко знает все о погоде.

Last edited:

frnash

For a Soviet Union "Weather Model" I was really hoping to find a stylish runway model, er … "babushka" as in this old …

(click →) Wendy's "Soviet Fashion Show" Commercial from some time in the 1980s ("dayvare", "eveningvare", "svimvare") …
and now "weathervare"? Perhaps carrying an umbrella?

Sadly, no such luck, for the Soviet Union "Weather Model" I had to settle for Госпожа Наталья Клименко (Natalia Klimenko — who "knows everything about the weather") Sigh!:
View attachment 58036
Наталья Клименко знает все о погоде.