West Yellowstone

MillRoad76Rider

Two 50-year old No. WI dudes looking to head to West Yellowstone this winter. Seeking input on "THE" place in the vicinity of Bozeman to go to for some mixed guided-trail-powder-park, and solo touring. Not looking for high end $$, radical young dude set-ups, but want to rent everything and experience the Rockies. Virgins no more!

mrbb

never been in the bozemant area to ride, but been out there in the fall, at the north entrance of Yellowstone, in gardiner MT, which I think is the closest to Bozeman , you get and have access to the park, BUt don't have ANY idea if they open the park at this end for sleds or not, I know in the small town of gardiner , there are a few shops that rent sleds, seen signs while there
and this is by far a more secluded area, you should have a ton of riding to yourself on this side of things, as to the pure renatl town deals in West Yellowstone, where crowds can be thicker

NOW if you wanted to go to the other end of things, and get down into WY< and say Pinedale area, there are a few niser places to stay and can get you rental sleds too, be right on the trail system, and FEW folks trail ride this way, and a TON of off trail riding where in my trips there NO one was ever even seen!
stayed there for 7 days last time and seen MAYBE 10 other riders ONCE in all 7 days
you can get to a lot of places as long as you don;t mind doing some miles to get there, as places like The Line Shack, and then Togwotee lodge. can be reached from this side, about a 80+ mile run one way

you can even plan a stay on one end and go back and forth
when I was there trails were groomed every night it seemed and only tracks on this side of trails were mine and my buddy's every day, we had them ALL to ourselves, was awesome
NOT a ton of places to eat and drink, but I didn;t go there to eat and drink, put on over a 1,000 miles in 7 days too
and spent a lot of time off trail(got stuck more times than I'd like to admit, being a eastern rider and all) but was a place I would go back to again in heart beat if I wanted a more remote place to go, just make sure you have good reliable sleds, as many places were 50+ miles apart, and NOTHING in between, and again NOT even other riders
so, keep a good eye one each other when you ride here!
west Yellowstone is a tourist place, BUT offers great deals on stay and rental, many places even throw in a free tank of fuel each day! a plus if you like doing miles!
Island Park is another decent place for rental and stay deals, lots of miles of trails in both places too

Builder Bob

Went with a gal who was footing the bill
We stayed in West Yellowstone, plenty of trails in town to get the tourist in/out.
More rental sleds in W.Y. then canoes in Ely.
You should be on the sled at sunrise, be back near sunset.
I did not like the park, nice sites, there is one big loop, most will not take the loop, but just go from WY to Old Faithful.
I did the loop, I recall 120 miles, stopped at Old Faithful, then got in line with sleds and snow coaches for the last 35 miles, poor/no grooming, 4 ' moguls.
We ran into buffalo along this loop, they also took the sled trail. They were traveling in the opposite direction, they passed me so close, I could smell them, both ends.
Outside the park was great, ran the trails, which were fire roads. I have a photo with the stop sign top, at my feet.
It would snow 10" per night. Plenty of snow, food & gas must be planned, I filled twice a day, but did not go 180 miles, we had packed snacks. I don't recall a single hot lunch

I followed another sledder off trail, (my GF did not), we went into a steep wall valley, crossed a creek, up the opposite bank and back down to the trail, gone about 15 minute.
I was proud of myself, until I found out the "other sledder" was 14yrs.
Rental car from Bozeman airport, about 2 hour drive.
There are many ways to go, it wasn't cheap, we stayed at "Stage Coach Inn", it had a pool, a hot tub, with wait staff, and low/med/hi stakes poker.
A good meal, a little hot tubbin, 3 beers and I was down at 9pm
Dumped the GF, she didn't like sledding, but she could sure drink.

Last edited:

vipermax10

If you've never been out west go to West Yellowstone. Several rental places, great motels. Theres lots of restaurants. You can go trail riding with some light off trail to some steep and deep areas. Theres a guy I work with that wants to go out for the first time, I suggested West Yellowstone, very friendly people. If you get talking with other guests you'll probably find a free guide in them. I know some of the group I've been out there with has done that, picked up newbies to show around. If I was going out there we could show you around, probably going to Wy. this year, extreme back country. High mark snowmobile rentals is a good place, they have Polaris and Cat this year. Right across the street from a real nice motel on the edge of town so trail access is easy. 406-640-1055.I havent rented from them but I know a couple guys who have.

MillRoad76Rider

Thanks thus far for the input and suggestions everyone, particularly on some of the stuff you won't see in a brochure. Keep the comments coming. We are continuing to explore options and hope to get out there next month!

royaloaks

We go every year out to West Yellowstone. Huge variety of riding from groomed trail to mountain riding. We stay at Pine Shadows (the owner is from St Cloud MN) they have condo units with kitchens, they also have sleds to rent (new Ski Doos) and guiding service if you want it.
Pine Shadows 800-624-5291 or 406-646-7541