western riders are

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny, ever see some of the bumps they have to ride to get to certain areas? Combine 4-5 feet or more of snow along with longtracked big paddle sleds, and you get 3-5 foot "bumps".

A western rider could adapt to trail riding, a lot faster than a trail rider could adapt to western mountain riding.

nitroman

Or they ride powder because it's a feeling you can't get anywhere else! For me it's the freedom and the challenge it offers me that trail riding didn't. Learning to carve,sidehill,climb and using those skills to cut some technical lines through a tree covered hill. Not seeing another sled all day except at the parking lot and eating a PB&J at 10000 ft in the middle of a forest of snow ghosts rocks! A place where your only limitation is yourself where going "off trail" is encouraged not discouraged and getting "lost" is fun! I agree with breeze one trip out west and you will be ruined! Short tracks will start to look funny, backpacks with shovel handles sticking out of them will look normal and $1000 worth of ride gear that breaths will suddenly make sense!
8 days till Colorado can't hardly sleep at night now!

dfrazee

I here ya nitroman.....you nailed it decribing the expirience and I have 4 weeks of anticipation build up before heading out to Wyoming.....

michaeladams

I was just messing with you guys.I would love to ride out west one of these years.I do alot of hair scrambles in wisconsin on dirt bikes.that is challenging and gives a good sense of acomplishment after you get through,up and over,or however you have to do it to get to your destination which is to get back safe and sound

fgsacts

Went out west for the first time about 5 or 6 years ago and took my trail sled. Completely lost interest in riding trails after that. Now ride a M8 and never looked back. Completely agree with Nitro's description of the experience. I really used to enjoy the trails and am not knocking people who still do. It just does not offer the same sense of satisfaction it used to for me. To each their own. Heading to Tog in 10 days with a group of midwestern former trail riders.

maj16

It ruins you! Conditions are decent around here, but just can't get myself to go out. Will see what the UP is like as I am heading there in 2 weeks....

renegade600

You guys are making me crazy.....I'm heading out west in (5) weeks for a week in WY....my first time ever in (37) years of sledding.....the wife, son and myself are going for a week and leaving the trail sleds here in WI....renting Summits for the whole week......I'm dam lucky to have a wife that wanted a Western sled vacation and not a Sandles resort or someplace warm......Can't wait....

tomk

Just got back, I think i cried the entire way home, the biggest snow we have had in almost 20 years in mn and it is nothing compared to west yellow. is it a good thing or bad thing when the snow is so deep and soft you have to clean out your intake foam every 15 minutes so your engine does not quit? ;)