For all who are thinking about coming to the western U.P. for the holidays-

I would say settled snow depth by Sunday afternoon was approximately:

Bruce Crossing- 2"
Ironwood- 3"
Wakefield- 4"
Mass City- 7"
Twin Lakes- 15"
Toivola- 20"

Trail 2 from the Firesteel Bridges to Toivola was 7/10, mass city to Firesteel Bridge was 3/10, conditions changed quickly. South towards Ironwood/Wakefield had very solid ice base but little new snow (didnt ride but saw quite a few riding). If they get another 6"+ they will be in solid condition as well. Around Mass City, there were a ton of exposed/loose rocks on the trails from the grooming operations and minimal snow.

Any low trails and swamps are not all frozen. Forget about trail 8 from Wakefield to Bergland for another week, it looked horribly wet from the highway and there was not a single sled down it yet.

Trail 2 just north of Krupps Mini Mart
IMG_3986.jpg

Toivola area off trail

IMG_3987.jpg

The Mosquito for Packers game

IMG_3990.jpg

Trail just north of Mass City

IMG_3977.jpg

Trail 2 between Bessemer/Wakefield

IMG_3972.jpg

Last edited:

Limitz

jason3aa did you guys ride trail 13 the loop from twin to greenland. If so how were the conditions? Going up to ride on Wednesday thinking about riding that loop.

jasonk3aa

jason3aa did you guys ride trail 13 the loop from twin to greenland. If so how were the conditions? Going up to ride on Wednesday thinking about riding that loop.

No we didnt make it down that section. Had the kids in tow so we tried to avoid any areas that might have been wet. I did see that they had groomed where it crossed trail 2 so at least some of it would be passable.

Parts of trail 13 can be very wet early in the year. I have not been on it this year, this is just from past experience