What a way to start vacation !!!!!

sjshaner

Just got back from vacation today. Left last week Sat. for a week of atv riding and camping up by Hurley Wi. We were going to camp at Schomberg Park ATV campground on Hwy 51 a few miles south of Hurley and ride the trails all week. About 50 miles into the trip the motorhome caught fire. Burned to the ground. My wife wanted to continue the trip and I luckily got the Pickup unhooked from the motorhome. We managed to save the clothes ( they were in a basket by the door ) and we got out OK but we lost everything else. New helmets (never worn), new goggles (never worn), ect.

On the plus side, we had a great week and I am glad the wife insisted on going. The weather was fair but we had the trails pretty much to ourselves and the colors were beautiful and they aren' t even at their height yet.

In case you are wondering, I had the 2 ATVs in the bed of the truck.

Attachments

• camper fire (2).jpg
    camper fire (2).jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 273
  • camper fire.jpg
    camper fire.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 0926111450a.jpg
    0926111450a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 0926111452a.jpg
    0926111452a.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 0926111452b.jpg
    0926111452b.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 195

sjshaner

Some more Pics.

Some more pictures of the colors.

Attachments

• 0926111453a.jpg
    0926111453a.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 0926111456a.jpg
    0926111456a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 23

jr37

Good for you on making a good vacation, when you could have just given in to a bad situation.

Glad you had a good trip.

sjshaner

Good for you on making a good vacation, when you could have just given in to a bad situation.

Glad you had a good trip.

Thanks, it was a great trip other than the little fire,lol. The colors were great. We ended up at The Bear Den just as you are coming into Hurley. The owner Dennis and his wife Jan were great to us and made sure we had a great time.

L

lenny

wow, sorry for your loss but nice to hear you made the best of it. How'd the rig catch fire?

sjshaner

wow, sorry for your loss but nice to hear you made the best of it. How'd the rig catch fire?

Don't really know. We saw smoke in the rear view mirrors and while my wife was pulling over to the side of the road I saw flames starting inside near the ceiling by the refrigerator. I got the fire inside the moterhome put out for a little while but they were already shooting out the roof from in-between the inner and outer walls.

scott_l

sorry to hear about the fire but maybe you should have kept the truck attached..........if you have to make the insurance claim you could have got a new motor home, truck and atvs :) glad you guys made it out unharmed.

coldbear

Sorry to hear about your vacation woes. Sounds like another Dometic Reffer went south. The company had a huge recall on em for just that[fire issues] reason. Glad I had mine replaced. Wish I could have ATV'd with you guys.

frnash

Sorry to hear about your vacation woes. Sounds like another Dometic Reffer went south. The company had a huge recall on em for just that[fire issues] reason. Glad I had mine replaced. Wish I could have ATV'd with you guys.

Hmm, what is this 'reffer' you refer to? I never heard of one of those! :p

windingtrailgal

WOW!!! That's some charred up remains! Glad you at least got the clothes out - sorry about the brand new helmets and goggles. WOW!!

Sounds like you and your wife both have great attitudes. "Um...well, that sucks...but let's just keep rolling!" Cuz really? What else ya gonna do?

:D that you posted the cool pics of the colors before the burnt up motor home!? :D

dcsnomo

Hmm, what is this 'reffer' you refer to? I never heard of one of those! :p

Nash-
I once dated a heffer
who hung around the reffer
Even though she was a beefer
I kept her away from the reefer
Her weight I won't infer
To her picture you must refer
But she was kinda fat
and that's the end of that!

And my condolences to sjhaner for the loss of his motor home, but glad y'all got out safe!

Last edited: