What else should I have checked???

mbo285

Have a 22 renegade XR-S turbo R. Has about 1200 miles on it, all stock.

I was riding with my brother and three kids. (One in his own sled and 2 in the 2-up seats. We were about 45 minutes into our first ride of the weekend and As I slowed approaching a road crossing the sled shut down. Thought initially that maybe I hit the kill switch by accident but I checked it and it was up. I pushed it down, pulled it back up and tried tstart it but nothing happened. The display didn’t turn on, nothing cranked, it was just dead. No funny smells, no leaking fluids, no sounds before it shut down etc

1. Checked the fuses and made sure the relays were all snug.

2.Checked battery terminals- all good

3.Tried the DESS key from another same sled in our group- same Result, nothing on the dash, no noises-just dead

4. tried jumping it with a jumper pack- no luck

I ended up getting a ride back to get my trailer, and pushed it up into it. What a way to start a weekend trip with the kids.

Any suggestions or something I should have done/checked on the side of the trail. Please help!

just_ride

maybe loosen the gas cap
my ski doo went into limp mode was about to trailer it out...... took off gas cap and ran strong the rest of the day

euphoric1

Did you just physically just look at fuses? try new ones? test them for continuity? also relays...simply looking at them will tell nothing and without reading the map on a relay and using a volt meter or having a relay tester there is no way to determine whether the relay is actually good or not, without doing so you are just assuming. Check the ignition switch as well, It sounds to me like you have a loss of power, if you haven't I would try replacing fuses if you haven't already if you cannot test them. Also relays... if unfamiliar with reading schematics on relays or unfamiliar with using a volt meter, replace the relays or switch them out to see if one has failed. blown fuses and failed relays are not always found by the naked eye. If you have any buds in the service industry maybe one of them have a relay tester, I have one and it makes very quick diagnosis of relays, fuses... may not appear blown by looking at them, but may just be blown enough to where they will break when put under load. definitely sounds like loss of electrical signal/power and just dont assume by looks.
Funny... whitedust and I just had a conversation about this last night, we will be riding together next week and he had asked if I bring any tools along either in the trailer or on the sled. I said not any more, not only have sleds become more reliable but other than suspension problems...what can you really fix on the trail anymore with so many electronics. Good luck mbo285, hopefully I gave some helpful information and please post what you do end up finding as it may help someone else down the road who experiences the same problem.

pclark

Hopefully sled is still under full warranty being a 22? Take it in and let them fix it, bummer that happened on your first trip with the kids. Good that it happened near a road crossing. When it gets fixed I'd love to know what caused the issue as I have a 2017 Renegade 900. Good luck!

2TrakR

Power related by description; jumping it was a good test to see if the battery failed. Could still be a total-short in the battery type of failure that would require unhooking the battery. Most likely relay failed (or ECU type failure). I've had relays freeze and cause a no-start condition. Different brand of relay helped in my situation and the immediate fix was my bare hand on one of the relays to warm it up (that sucked at -15F) and the other was the propane heater blowing on that area. That's on older Doo, not 22.

goofy600

Whitedust is on the right track if you had nothing at all happen start at the battery and work from there. But 22’s possibly have some updates that need to be done, I know mine does for the dash and also still have to get dess installed. Also had an injector plug come loose once because wiring loom was so tight that eventually pulled loose, so it may be as simple as a connector somewhere coming apart. Hopefully a simple fix and fast return to the snow.

jmvette427

If you are still with the sled check the connections to the instrument cluster. Maybe came loose or poor connection. Everything goes into cluster . Just a thought.

mbo285

Thanks for all the info. I didn’t want to waste anymore time on a short trip messing with it so i ended up renting a sled and was able save the weekend with the kids.

Local dealer load tested the battery when I picked up my rental and it was good. That was about the extent of investigating this weekend

It is still under warranty so I will be dropping it off at the dealer on the way home today. I’ll update for everyone when I hear what the issue is. Crossing my fingers it’s nothing big as I have a Canada trip in 2 1/2 weeks

snobuilder

Did you just physically just look at fuses? try new ones? test them for continuity? also relays...simply looking at them will tell nothing and without reading the map on a relay and using a volt meter or having a relay tester there is no way to determine whether the relay is actually good or not, without doing so you are just assuming. Check the ignition switch as well, It sounds to me like you have a loss of power, if you haven't I would try replacing fuses if you haven't already if you cannot test them. Also relays... if unfamiliar with reading schematics on relays or unfamiliar with using a volt meter, replace the relays or switch them out to see if one has failed. blown fuses and failed relays are not always found by the naked eye. If you have any buds in the service industry maybe one of them have a relay tester, I have one and it makes very quick diagnosis of relays, fuses... may not appear blown by looking at them, but may just be blown enough to where they will break when put under load. definitely sounds like loss of electrical signal/power and just dont assume by looks.
Funny... whitedust and I just had a conversation about this last night, we will be riding together next week and he had asked if I bring any tools along either in the trailer or on the sled. I said not any more, not only have sleds become more reliable but other than suspension problems...what can you really fix on the trail anymore with so many electronics. Good luck mbo285, hopefully I gave some helpful information and please post what you do end up finding as it may help someone else down the road who experiences the same problem.
LOL...

snobuilder

Hopefully sled is still under full warranty being a 22? Take it in and let them fix it, bummer that happened on your first trip with the kids. Good that it happened near a road crossing. When it gets fixed I'd love to know what caused the issue as I have a 2017 Renegade 900. Good luck!
Yep road crossing sled failures are built into the Doo DEpSSt Tech!

snobuilder

Whitedust is on the right track if you had nothing at all happen start at the battery and work from there. But 22’s possibly have some updates that need to be done, I know mine does for the dash and also still have to get dess installed. Also had an injector plug come loose once because wiring loom was so tight that eventually pulled loose, so it may be as simple as a connector somewhere coming apart. Hopefully a simple fix and fast return to the snow.
:ROFLMAO: Updates!!!!