What flea/tick prevention do you use?

dgh5454

Hey John, I'm curious what flea and tick prevention you use for your dogs. Since your dogs always seem to be out in the woods, I'm curious to know what you use and if you've tried any other options.

Thanks.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
We don't have much of an issue with fleas. For the ticks, we have used Frontline in the past, but for the past several seasons have not done anything. Ticks seem to like ground cover, especially when wanting to climb up to get high enough to grab their ride on a host. Most of our woods do not have much ground cover. We do check them lots during the seasons like now and then again the autumn. Summers are usually dry enough that ticks are not a huge problem here.

We do keep up with heartworm medication though. Use the chewable "treat" type. I forget the name.

-John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update...

This season tick infestation has been crazy over the top. The pups had their annual lube, oil, filter change yesterday, so I talked to the vet about what is best. He uses a product called Vectra 3D. Said that not only will it kill any flea/tick that gets on them, but is also a repellent and will work against other things like biting flies. So I am hoping that it will repel the deer flies that bother then so much on our walks in July. It is similar to Frontline, in that you apply it topically once a month.

Also, up until 2013, Keweenaw County had no reports of Lyme disease. Then in 2013 a case was reported, but they were not sure the dog was infected here, or when it traveled south. 2014 a different story, several cases of dogs with Lyme disease. Many were not symptomatic, but tested positive, so their immune system was handling it. Huck and Millie were free of all blood ailments via their tests yesterday! Yea!

-John

wirev

We use a chewable pill that goes for 3 months. This is the first year we have used it and very satisfied with results so far. Have found ticks etc on the dog but none in the flesh. Don't know the name as we get it from the Vet. We also use the chewable for heart-worm.
Rev

mrbb

I always use advantix on my Lab
BUT will admit from time to time I still found a tick or two , I also kept him on it all yr, same with heart worm

MY dog was out in the woods and farm almost daily
so, he was exposed to te=icks a lot more often than most, which is why I think I fond some every now and then in Bad tick yrs

srt20

I used Vectra last year. It worked better than anything I have used yet. Using it again this year.
My dog got anaplasmosis when on Frontline.

Though do make sure with Vectra you get the right strength dose for the weight of the dog. I did find a few cases online that dogs got pretty sick from basically being overdosed.

I should add, I don't always trust vets. They are paid to push some products.

snocrazy

How many years do you think it would take off of your life if a human were to use such a product?
I want a pill I can take or a collar to ensure a tick free day. I hate those buggers. Freaks me out ever time I find one.
Have to talk my self down and be calm. Immediate reaction is to freak out and yank it.

Bwill

I've been using lots of stuff for my dogs, I had Retriever and German Shepherd, they both had different prescriptions, according to their breed, age, and other physical parameters. That's true, that you shouldn't always trust vets, it's just a lottery to stumble upon a good doctor in my area.
Okay, let's back to the products. Bravecto and Frontline worked fine here, but haven't heard of Vectra though. Various people and sources like this, for example, often mention Seresto collars. Surprisingly, I haven't used these on my dogs, because it wasn't necessary with the stuff I mentioned above, but my mom acquired one for her cat and it seems to work too.