What GPS map shoud I download?

trailburner30

Just picked up a new Garmin etrex legend HCx. I would like to know what you all think about the maps that are available. We are starting to really mix our trail riding with some off trail / back country riding, so I'd like to have an idea where we are heading when dippin' off into the unknown.

I am thinking about just downloading the entire US TOPO map. Is this to be detailed enough for finding unmarked roads and paths in the UP and Northern Wi?

polarisrider1

Just picked up a new Garmin etrex legend HCx. I would like to know what you all think about the maps that are available. We are starting to really mix our trail riding with some off trail / back country riding, so I'd like to have an idea where we are heading when dippin' off into the unknown.

I am thinking about just downloading the entire US TOPO map. Is this to be detailed enough for finding unmarked roads and paths in the UP and Northern Wi?

How big of SD card can you put in it. I used a 2 GB SD card to fit a 15 mile by 30 mile Topo map of Togwotee/Lava Mtn. area. and the trail overlay for Michigan in my GPS.

zrjes

depends on where you ride, the resolution on the entire US map is 1:100K and is the not the most up to date.

I just bought the 1:24K Topo maps for the Great Lakes region and have been pretty impressed with the amount of detail. These maps are up to date as of 2008, so they are supposedly the most recent. This map takes about 1.725 GB of my 2 GB SD card on my GarminMaps60 CX

Stack

Snowdee

Look at vwmapping.com. They have downloads for snowmobile trail maps and they will send you updates as well. Excellent maps for the unit you have.

trailburner30

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into your suggestions when I get back. Priority for the next three days is RIDING.