What made you do it?

t660redrocket

That is, what put you over the top on your decision to move to the U.P.? My family just returned from a week long vacation. We spent 3 days in the Porkies then 3 days at Twin Lakes State Park. We saw ALL the sights of Copper Country. Every time I leave to come home whether it be from a sleddin trip or from this last trip I feel a tremendous drag on me to stay. I own my business and work from home and could do that anyplace there is high speed internet. The final hurdle is convincing my awesome wife and my 8 and 11 year old. Any advice or stories that brought you to this place John? Be careful, I'm clinging to every word. Thanks!

cuzzinolaf

Not to butt in Daryl, if you could do it and the wife would go for it I don't see why not. Cheaper cost of living, beautiful scenery and nice people. Can you handle leaving your friends? What would your wife do for work? Is it ideal for your kids and their future?

L

lenny

What made me do it? I wanted to live. I wanted to live in beaautiful place, I wanted to understand freedom from the race of life. I wanted my kids to run and climb trees. Stay up at 10 pm and still be light out. To have fires on the beach, cook out with friends, watch the sunset with my family often. It's something I have wanted for years so I just did it. No more wanting, but now, living as I "wanted" to live. My family has come to call this place home and it is home. My family life has never been better. Work oppertunities has arose and I am busy to the extent I wan't to be. We are happy and have not looked back. I thank God for all this. He has given us incredible friends up here and you guys probably know them. It's "wireburnguy", Matt and candice and family. quality people and a God send. Not to be all religious but one must give credit where credit is due. The UP is my home

L

lenny

dang, didnt even notice this was the "ask John" I am not john, sorry john, honest mistake, could you yank mine out please

A

admin

t660redrocket-

Honestly, this place is just everyting I could ever wish for. I really love the rural, small town America way of life and do not miss all that the big cities have to offer at all. Of course the climate is just about perfect- especially the winters. I am also very fortunate to have found someone to share my life with who loves this area as much as I do.

About the only heads up I can give is that if your wife does not like winter at all, then do not put her through moving up here. For someone that does not like winter, they are downright brutal and she will be miserable for 7-8 months of the year (yes 7-8 months). For those of us that love it, they are a dream come true and for the vast majority of others they are just someting to endure. I can say summers are beautiful, but short. Arrive sometime in June and are over by the second week of Sept.

Also, the locals are super nice and friendly, but I have seen some move up here and think that because they come from a big city, they are better or smarter or more worldly than the locals and that causes the locals to be more distant towards those know it alls (who wouldn't!). So the key is to be friendly and show a genuine interest and respect of those living here and you will be welcomed into one of the finest communities in the country.

So with all that said, if you know all involved in the move will be able to tollerate the winters and no one will miss the shopping, dinning and other ammenities that the big population centers have to offer, then I'd say make the move. Sounds like you have the financials all at hand.

-John

t660redrocket

Thank you for the response. I can tell it was heartfelt and sincere. I also found another thread on here started by wireburnguy. That thread was also very insightful. I really sense God calling me to SLOW DOWN in life and this draw to the U.P. may be part of that. I've made some major changes in my life over the last year. Included in that is that I've lost 120+ pounds with a goal to loose another 30 by the time snow flies. Riding off trail this winter will be completely different for me.
Ultimately my wife and I will definately pray about what to do next. I know already it's in the cards for us but it's a matter of timing I guess. Maybe it'll be 1 year away or 10 years away.

Thank you John for running this website. I'm finally understanding what it is all about!

S

skylar

And if your wife does not like winter all that much, promise here a nice week in Mexico, or Jamaica, or some other hot and icky place. That will be my plan when I move up there. Sometime in the next 10 years maybe. LOL.

yamahauler

T660: Good Luck with your decision. Don't mean to hijack any thread but I wanted to say congrats on the weight loss, that is amazing. If ya don't mind me asking, how did ya do it?

t660redrocket

I've done it the old fashioned way. No pills or surgery. I've followed the Weight Watchers points system and I go to the fitness center daily. When I reach my goal of 200 lbs total lost I'll be back to where I was when I played football in college. I may try another 50 after that which will put me at high school weight, but we'll see about that when I get there. Off trail riding will be a real treat this winter. As a reward to myself when reach my 200 lb. loss goal I plan on ordering up a new 600 Doo-XP E-Tec. Just imagine between my weight loss and the lighter XP I'll be riding with 250 less pounds! I can't wait! Bring on the white fluffy stuff!!!!

technologic

Congrats on the weight loss t660. I have been thinking of doing the same. You have given me some inspiration! On moving... keep praying, He will give you your answer to those who are faithful but be open to how He answers!

8^)

Don