What to wear for mid layer?

mikesvmax

What do you guys wear for your mid layer? I have a Yamaha jacket that isn't super warm but have no clue what to wear for the mid layer. My friends wear hooded sweatshirts but I want something that wicks the moisture away. Thanks!

snosgr8

I just got a stretch fleece mid layer shirt from RU Outside today. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks very promising and is lightweight and close fitting for under my tech vest. I think they are clearing them out since it was on sale. I did see a new shirt that they had which was a wool blend shirt, I might have to try one of those too. Check it out. Nice stuff at a reasonable price.

polarisrider1

Klim for all 3 layers. I just bought RU Outside boots and socks haven't worn them in cold yet. snosgr8, what a sweet deal on RU Outside clothing. I don't like their gloves. To narrow for my hands even with 2XL gloves. Cotton is evil.

limey

I wear a Tek-Vest for the middle layer. First layer is man-made moisture wicking thin shirt, then Tek-Vest, then my FXR jacket. Never get hot nor cold, even when riding at -40.

fcat700

A wicking base, a five dollar t-shirt or maybe a flannel shirt if it's real cold and my Arctic Cat Boss Jacket.

PZ

xcr440

I always bring a spare shirt or two and socks. Never know when you find a play spot that you get worked up on, and nothing worse than getting wet......

A

admin

xcr440-

I am so glad you said that because that is EXACTLY why synthetics is the way to go. They allow your sweat to pass through it and in the case where they do get damp, dry very quickly and without robbing your body of heat.

A nice polypropylene base layer and then some fleece, or other synthetic mid layer and then the outer shell. Give it a shot, the way to go!

-John

snow_monkey

I have two sets of base layer wicking thermals. One set is real thin for warmer riding or if were gonna be banging. I have a thicker base layer for colder weather. The mid-layer is fleece. Make sure the fleece fits snug over the base layer and gives you freedom of movement without bulk. It is also important let heat out of your jacket when you begin to get warm. I rarely get cold.

Hoosier

Mike - I think it depends on how insulated your yamaha jacket is. If it is insulated, you probably don't need as much of a midlayer.

mikesvmax

my jacket is more of a shell. Very little insulation in it. I bought it that way so I wouldn't be too hot on warmer days but I wasn't completely sure what to wear under it for the colder days. I was thinking about buyin the Yamaha team fleece that FXR used to make but now I'm not sure if I should go that route or 100% fleece.

xcr440

I will definately look into that, I guess I've always been 'cheap' when it comes to clothing, except the outer coat and bibs to keep from getting wet from the outside.

cuzzinolaf

For this year I plan to wear the RU Outside base layer, the RU outside Tekvest layer, my Freestyle Tekvest and my FXR outer shell. I highly doubt that I'll need the FXR liner but I'll carry it on cold days in the backpack.

A

admin

xcr440-

I think you would really like how the synthetics work.

Do some shopping around (Walmart or other big stores that have an outdoor dept), you can get the base layer for probably less than $20 and a fleece mid layer for $30-40. Just make sure that there is no cotton in the materials at all. Best to just go 100% synthetic. It's not as inexpensive as a t-shirt and/or cotton sweatshirt, but they will last you many seasons. Plus it is just SO nice to be comfortable all the time while riding- no matter if you are riding hard or just kicking back.

You still will sweat in the harder riding times and the synthetics may also get damp, but will dry in 5-10 minutes and like I said, will not rob your body of heat. Just remember this...In the winter, cotton kills.

Maybe consider this way.<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>'s a day's worth of gas for the sled to get many, many years of comfortable riding.

-John

A

admin

mikesvmax-

As long as it is comfortable for you, then any kind of fleece will work. The big thing is to just make sure that you do not wear any cotton underneath your outer layers. Cotton is great at absorbing moisture (sweat) and then hanging onto it. Not good in the winter. That wet cotton then just robs body heat.

So no cotton socks, pants or shirts. I do wear cotton boxers, but have not had any problems down there!
proud.gif

-John

Hoosier

You guys really stay warm with just a base layer, a thin fleece midlayer and a shell? For some reason, that's hard for me to believe. I'm also looking for a new jacket, and I keep going back and forth about a shell vs. an insulated jacket. I ride trails mostly. We don't get out too many days each year (8 or so), but when we do, we're usually out there for 12 hours or so.