What type of wood?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's mostly maple, but a bit of yellow birch too. Basically the hardwoods that grow up here.

-John

L

lenny

the Birch is awesome, cuts and splits nice, good BTU's. John don't have to split his but I do and it's nice dealing with it

chevytaHOE5674

Lenny, you talking about white or yellow birch? Most yellow birch is a b*tch to slit as it is tuff and stringy, white birch on the other hand splits like butter.

Personally I burn aspen/spruce/pine in my boiler as its much less valuable than good hardwood and its very abundant around here.

whitedust

Lenny, you talking about white or yellow birch? Most yellow birch is a b*tch to slit as it is tuff and stringy, white birch on the other hand splits like butter.

Personally I burn aspen/spruce/pine in my boiler as its much less valuable than good hardwood and its very abundant around here.

You must have a lot of the softwoods aspen stringy softest of all. Either your boiler does not use much wood or you have massive amounts available to you.

jr37

I burn some yellow birch and it isn't to bad to split. Much better than the elm that is my main heat source.

chevytaHOE5674

I've split a bunch of yellow birch over the years and its usually stringy stuff, often times the splitter will go all the way through it and then I still have to chop the stringy stuff apart with an ax.

Aspen is a dream to split usually one whack with the maul and it splits and is ready to go, spruce and pine not so easy to split. But as long as I can lift the 40" long pieces I don't split them as that just means they will burn faster.

I burn about 10~11 cord a winter with the boiler no matter if its -10 or +10. I have tons of aspen available around the farm so that's why I burn it.

whitedust

10~11 cord a winter is a lot of wood but burn what you have access. Sooner or later I will have to buy hardwood like John maybe next year so I can age it at least 1 year. I some Popple I have to burn but mix it with maple,white birch & yellow birch in our fireplace stove.

chevytaHOE5674

That's 10~11 cord providing 100% of our heat (keep the house at 70-72) and domestic hot water from the first part of September through May. That is with a 12 year old wood boiler that isn't nearly as efficient as the newer ones.

L

lenny

I stand corrected,,, I had mistaken the yellow birch for Ash. The yellow birch is stringy and can be a bear to split