When did the Johndee.com Site Go Live?

1fujifilm

Hello John,
After reading some folks posts on here recently I thought "wow, some people are really getting old like me".
What year did the site go live and who were a few of the first members?

Thank you, Bear

xcr440

About the same time a lot of people left northern WI to go ride the UP - LOL - I'm going to guess early 2000's.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
The site went live in November of 1998. The discussion board was first set up as just an Ask John and that was in 2001.

-John

whitedust

Ya I remember the anonymous posts topics and posting used to fly as fast as one could post. Lol Then you had to sign in with a handle and posts got more thoughtful. Snow central has had one heck of an evolution over the years!

frnash

The site went live in November of 1998.
So next month (just a few days away) is the site's twentieth anniversary. Yikes!

Too bad that little debacle back in 2009 lost everyone's original "Join date" and reset 'em all to 12-03-2009 or so!

Last edited:

1fujifilm

So next month (just a few days away) is the site's twentieth anniversary. Yikes!

Too bad that little debacle back in 2009 lost everyone's original "Join date" and reset 'em all to 12-03-2009 or so!

Thanks for the history lesson to all who posted.

I wonder if "Old Abe" was just "Abe" back then?

Bear

old abe

Thanks for the history lesson to all who posted.

I wonder if "Old Abe" was just "Abe" back then?

Bear

No fuji, but I was 20 years younger to the better!!!! Oh, do I wish I could do the last 20 years over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My tag comes from a Mfg Co. character/trade mark. From what I know, it was always "old abe", and had been for many, many years.

scottiking

Back then I was 'Scotticat" because I rode cats and then I went to RMK's and that's where "Scottiking" came from!
I have been back to Cats now for quite a few years but kept the name to keep things simple!
Scottiking OUT

BTW the "out" came from "Seacrest out' on American Idol
And I think Julie Campbell had something to do with that but I'm old and forgetful now that I'm 57 instead of 37

snobuilder

Back then I was 'Scotticat" because I rode cats and then I went to RMK's and that's where "Scottiking" came from!
I have been back to Cats now for quite a few years but kept the name to keep things simple!
Scottiking OUT

BTW the "out" came from "Seacrest out' on American Idol
And I think Julie Campbell had something to do with that but I'm old and forgetful now that I'm 57 instead of 37
Here i thought Seacrest had copied you!

98 was a year after I started sledding again....I remember the "take it outside" forum over @ Amsnow.com....that was back when # meant pound or number.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I first heard of this site, swear to god I walked around with a chub the first month or so! Then once the webcams started, yep nudder chub! No more calling all over the northen midwest asking if people had snow, and how much! Calling long distance on our land line, man my wife hated those phone bills lol.

jedoyle

Amen to that! This site has helped me figure out where the good snow is, which trails/routes to take, which places to stop at, etc... And I have met some nice people along the way. Without this site some of us from a ways away would be operating in the dark. We would be calling home owners/resort owners in Northern WI who swear there is tons of snow & to come up & ride. Yeah, got burnt by that a few times not that all owners are like that.