when is elk season

zr900efi

what about guides? should someone get one if they never done a hunt like this be4? an about how much is it?

wildskies.com

I had a few deer hunters that didn’t draw their licenses which leaves some rifle hunts open for elk hunting at our property in the Flat Tops that was featured in the current issue of Petersen’s Bowhunting Magazine (Sept issue out now). I would appreciate it if you would share this with other hunters you know who might be interested.

The following are the hunts I have available for this year. We do not charge any additional fees. Your license is not included and is paid to the state of Colorado and there are thousands of licenses available for cow elk. As I mentioned on the phone you are allowed to get both a cow and bull elk license for the hunts in our unit. There is no meal service but you could pay for a chef and you could pay a local outfitter to pack out an animal and you could rent horses or pay an outfitter down the road to do some day guiding it you wanted. None of those services are included in your fee as detailed below. We do have a land line for telephone service and satellite Internet.

2017 available hunts (all archery and rifle 1 and the 1st part of rifle 2 are sold out):
Rifle 2b (Oct 25-20)
Rifle 3a: 11/2-8 (9am check-out)
Rifle 3b: 11/8-13
Rifle 4: 4th Combined Limited Deer & Elk 11/15-11/19

2018 available hunts:
Archery Week 2: 9/1-8 (9am check-out)
Archery Week 3: 9/9-16 (9am check-out)
Rifle 1: 1st Separate Limited Elk 10/13-10/17
Rifle 4: 4th Combined Limited Deer & Elk 11/14-11/18 (2 hunters are booked but have spots for up to 9 more hunters)

We are about 1 hour SE of Craig, CO on the northern end of the Flat Tops. The7 day stay/6 day archery hunts and 4-5 day rifle elk hunts go for $2300 per adult hunter. If you wanted all of rifle 3 I could go as low as $2900 plus taxes if you had at least 7 hunters. If you had more than 7 I could toss in another discount based on how many more you had. Please do have anyone you know that is interested in our place visit our website www.flattopshunting.com for photos of the area, animals taken and views of what our cabin looks like or have them give me a call at 970.926.0216.

Because we have the largest elk herd in the world, the opportunity to harvest is greater than anywhere else you could hunt (high fence excluded as we are 100% fair chase and we cannot compete with high fence on stats). Most of our terrain is between 8,400-11,500 feet.

Here are the basics you’ll need to know:
1. We have a secluded 4 bed/3.5 bath cabin in the Flat Tops (easily can sleep 11 individuals in comfort or more if couple as we have 5 queen beds and 3 sets of twin bunkbeds). It is surrounded on three sides by the nat’l forest and just 2 miles from where the Flat Tops Wilderness starts. So, essentially you go right out the door to hunt on a million acres of federal land that surround three sides of the property.
2. For the rifle hunt and GMU 12 draw archery, game trails galore can be found on our property which is located in the heart of that E6/White River Elk herd. So one could stay on the deck of our cabin and potentially get an elk shot from there.
3. E6/White River Elk Herd numbers approx. 39,000 elk with a cow to bull ratio of 4:1
4. Our unit is one of the few where you can get A and B tags so you can buy both a cow and a bull elk license either for the same season or two different ones (i.e. but not limited to these combinations many more options: over the counter bull elk during rifle 3 and an OTC cow elk during archery).
5. Our cabin is the only lodging available to the general public to stay for a DIY hunt within a 12-45 mile radius of our location. Surrounded by private land to the north and only camping available in the other directions for miles.
6. For the rifle hunts and all GMU 12 archery hunts, due to the topography (we are on the NW corner at the end of a chain of mountains and have a river that cuts through our property below the first ridge along that last mountain), it makes the areas accessible through our property more difficult for the general public to access giving you access to more limited access federal land to hunt.
7. The archery hunts available for this year are in GMU 231 which starts 2.5 miles north of the cabin but the trailhead I would recommend you hunt is about 5 miles up the road. That trailhead is surrounded by private land on three sides and has a mountain on the fourth side and there is a ½ mile easement through private land to get to the public land to hunt. This makes it a less attractive trail to camping hunters so they tend to ignore the trail but it has been a successful area for a lot of my hunters.

Our 2016 Archery hunter had this to say:
This was my 4th time hunting with Wild Skies, but my first time heading out on a hunt with my son. All of my hunts with Wild Skies have been memorable and enjoyable but this one ranks at the very top. I have been on over 40 elk hunts in various states and the hunt this year ranks in the top 3 of all my hunts. It was textbook perfect. I patiently waited for a mature 6x6 bull elk to respond to my call and took my shot and got it done on my second day of elk hunting. I can hardly wait to come back again next year!
-Mike Brower, Monroe, Louisiana
Cheers,
Lisa Bennett
Wild Skies Cabin Rentals
www.wildskies.com and www.flattopshunting.com

whitedust

Is wildskies spam?..Seems to be showing up in a couple of threads and not a JD advertiser? Just wondering??

wildskies.com

How to get an elk license in Colorado

was just wondering does elk season start? and how do u get the lic?

Colorado is the easiest state for licenses because several game management units (GMUS)have unlimited over-the-counter licenses (OTC) available for both archery and rifle seasons. As a result, anyone who wanted to come out and hunt is guaranteed a license. Furthermore, there are thousands of left over licenses and certain GMUs allow you to have two elk license per year. You can either can have a license for the same hunt or come for two different hunts like an OTC either sex archery elk hunt and then back for a rifle 3 leftover cow elk hunt.

If anyone needs to learn about Colorado hunting please give me call. I also have some spots available for 2017 rifle elk hunts and three spots left for an archery elk hunt. We are currently featured in this month's issue of Petersen's Bowhunting Magazine (Sept 2017).

Good luck,
Lisa
www.flattopshunting.com

- - - Updated - - -

No. I am not spam. I am legit. You can check me out at www.flattopshunting.com if you want. We mostly do hunting and snowmobiling out of our location in NW Colorado. I spend a lot time educating folks on outdoor activities in Colorado.