When It's Time to say Goodbye

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
A friend of mine sent me the following and it got me thinking of all the dogs in my life. Not that many really, but all were memorable. My first was Trixie, she loved to chase porkupines and that was her demise, so bad the vet couldn't save her. Molly came next, a great dog of the Yellow Lab family and it broke my heart when we had to let her go. How many of us have said on that "last day" that we're not doing this again but then a "new" dog comes along to blend with the family. Our current fur buddy is a Rescue, she's a mix between a Terrier and Yellow Lab, quite possibly the smartest dog I've ever known. She knows the sound of my truck or cycle when I come down the street and is waiting for me at the door. She'll be 8 years old at Christmas so we know that the clock is ticking. Which brings me to the following. If you can read this to the end and still have a dry eye, then you're a stronger man than me.

"They tell you not to cry.
They tell you he's just a dog, not a human.
They tell you it will pass.
They tell you that animals do not know that they must die.
They tell you that the important thing is not to make them suffer.
They tell you that you can get another one.
They tell you it will happen.
They tell you there are more unbearable pains.
But they don't know how many times you've looked your dog in the eye.
They don't know how many times it was you and your dog that looked in the dark.
They don't know how many times your dog was the only one by your side.
They don't know that the only one who hasn't judged you is your dog.
They don't know how scared you were the night his moans woke you up.
They don't know how many times your dog has slept next to you.
They don't know how much you've changed since the dog became a part of your life.
They don't know how many times you hugged him when he was sick.
They don't know how many times you pretended not to see when his hair was getting whiter and whiter.
They don't know how many times you've talked to your dog, the only one who really listens to you.
They don't know how good you were to your dog.
Little do they know that only your dog knew you were in pain.
They don't know what it's like to see your old dog trying to come over and say hello.
They don't know that when things go wrong, the only one who isn't gone is your dog.
They don't know that your dog trusts you, every moment of his life, even at the last moment.
They don't know how much your dog loved you and how little he needed to be happy, because you were enough for him.
They don't know that crying for a dog is one of the noblest, most meaningful, truest and purest things you can do.
They don't know about the last time you rocked him hard ... being careful not to hurt him.
They don't know what you felt when you caressed his face in the last moments of his life"

They say that "Dog is Man's Best Friend and some days your Dog is your ONLY Friend." Cherish the moments with yours!

rph130

You are right Gary. Not a dry eye here. We are in same position with our third Rottweiler named Madison. She is 8 and I see the grey in her chin, the difficulty with stairs, and we are worried that the clock is ticking too fast for her. Thanks for sharing. Such a tough thing when it comes time to put them down but I would never be without a dog.

pclark

Had to put down my Golden a few years ago, he was 13, cancer, finally stopped eating and it was time, we were devastated. Have a new little gal in our lives now, a Golden/Collie mix rescue. We think she is now 9 years old and she is showing signs of leg issues, falling, hard time on steps, I usually have to carry her but she is otherwise OK. I guess it's a personal choice when you decide it's better to put a dog down but it's tough to go through that, i just worry about her breaking a leg or something to that effect. Winters up here aren't doing her any favors!
1665610936806.png
1665611044685.png

BigSix

My daughter's dog, Toby will be 10 years old this December. My daughter and I have discussed how we will deal with his passing in the future. The following may help us deal with that time:

A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

skiroule

I agree with what has already been said, not a dry eye. We have had dogs for over 50 years so we've had to say goodbye to a number of furry family members and it never gets easier. I have never forgotten the day I've had to say goodbye to each one of them and I can understand why some people say "never again". At times, we have felt that way as well but it's knowing there's a dog out there that needs a home that causes us to reconsider and eventually a new member is added to the family.

We also have dogs that are getting up in the years, our terrier mix is almost 17 and in remarkably good health but we know that can change in a hurry. We're not exactly youngsters either but my wife has declared that we will have two dogs as long as we can be reasonably confident that we can take care of them for life.

pclark

I know one thing, never just drop off your dog to be put down. They know what is happening and they know when you are by their side until they take their breath. It's very hard but they appreciate not being alone as they leave you.

LoveMyDobe

you never get over it you get through it I had to make that discission this summer with my 12 yr old dobe. She was in remission with Multiple Myeloma.. Then a tumor developed on her rib and already spread to lungs. I made the call probably sooner than later but didnt need to keep her around for my benefit

heckler56

you never get over it you get through it I had to make that discission this summer with my 12 yr old dobe. She was in remission with Multiple Myeloma.. Then a tumor developed on her rib and already spread to lungs. I made the call probably sooner than later but didnt need to keep her around for my benefit
Sorry for your loss. ❤️🩹