Where can one put their money these days as a fair investment?

pclark

Alright, I'm 66 and and just treading water, no, actually losing ground like I'm sure everyone is? I'm down about 15% since Covid 3 years ago and not making up any ground. Whenever I do make a run, it just slips away again. Is there anywhere that is a safe 5% investment?

The Silicon Valley Bank collapse is a little unerving, of course, Janet Yellen (older than dirt) and the White House says "it's an isolated incident". Thoughts?

m8man

I just bought a 5% 2 year CD, and a 5% treasury for 1 year. U can get a bit higher rates but that’s what I’m doing w some funds now. I have been also buying some large cap growth stocks recently but I’m 49 and have 6 years to go...

whitedust

I have a large Verizon bond I bought years ago pre 2008 collapse and has plenty of life in it maybe 10 more years. I believe pays 5.5 or more so kept it for times like this. I keep waiting for it to be called but never happens. Lol You might find a long term bond paying 5 plus if you look around. Stocks aren’t going to hold sustainable growth until government spending is under control and that ain’t Democrats.

goofy600

Or you can give it to me and trust me I will take care of it for you.🤣🥴🤪. JK wish I could give you some help, I’m 11 years younger so looking into rental property possibly but will lean on son and daughter in law to help because it would be closer to them than up by me.

Or you can give it to me and trust me I will take care of it for you.🤣🥴🤪. JK wish I could give you some help, I’m 11 years younger so looking into rental property possibly but will lean on son and daughter in law to help because it would be closer to them than up by me.
Rental is good but divide in half and minus 1 for profit due to non payment. Property will increase while you chase rent and document excuses for non payment for laughter.

snomoman

Associated Bank is offering a seven month and 13 month 4% CD

Attachments

• A97DE87B-8801-4C3E-888B-B619EB9A9041.jpeg
    A97DE87B-8801-4C3E-888B-B619EB9A9041.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good question, PClark. If I knew the answer I'd be making a heck of a lot more than you guys. For us in the market, it's been one step forward and two steps back ever since Covid and Biden. At the present, we have money from dividends sitting on the sideline until this either corrects itself or we have different leadership in Washington. We're putting some cash into our home with a couple of improvements planned in the coming months but we have no plans to sell. Land and property are always the first to rise in value following hard times. I'll be watching this thread for other thoughts. Frankly, if there was an answer to this, we'd all be doing it by now.

pclark

Good question, PClark. If I knew the answer I'd be making a heck of a lot more than you guys. For us in the market, it's been one step forward and two steps back ever since Covid and Biden. At the present, we have money from dividends sitting on the sideline until this either corrects itself or we have different leadership in Washington. We're putting some cash into our home with a couple of improvements planned in the coming months but we have no plans to sell. Land and property are always the first to rise in value following hard times. I'll be watching this thread for other thoughts. Frankly, if there was an answer to this, we'd all be doing it by now.
Agree Gary, If there was something other than real risky we'd all be doing it I'm sure. Our best investment is the property we are sitting in right now but no payoff until we sell and not interested in that right now. In my opinion it will be like this until policy changes happen if and when they do.

heckler56

I suggest government backed investments, cd’s (limit yourself to $250k at any one institution to keep w/in FDIC or FSLIC insurance or go with T-bills). I would stay away from RE. At 66 we are the top of the bell curve and our bodies will force Baby boomers to sell properties we can no longer walk up stairs. Investment funds are buying properties and charging rents for amounts unsustainable by the next generation. A correction like 2008 (when the first BBs hit retirement age) is just around the corner.

eagle1

My local credit union is 4.5-4.75% for 7 and 13 month CDs. Have never done one before but thought about throwing half my savings in there.
Twinsies.
Put 10k in 8 month CD few months. Worked ton of OT in last year an half and been throwing that at the house mortgage, probably have that paid off sometime this year. After that yah probably seek professional advice because sure is frustrating watching 401k bounce around.
Wifee has an annuity from years ago with Ohio National that pays guaranteed 5%, but I don't believe that product is available anymore.

pclark

My local credit union is 4.5-4.75% for 7 and 13 month CDs. Have never done one before but thought about throwing half my savings in there.
If you don't need it which at your age I would think you would not be touching it I would do it. I'm maxed out with CD's right now and they are the best return right now, most likely will get a little better with interest rate game being played to try and control inflation. Very conservative stock portfolio has good days and bad days which means stagnation.

whitedust

I suggest government backed investments, cd’s (limit yourself to $250k at any one institution to keep w/in FDIC or FSLIC insurance or go with T-bills). I would stay away from RE. At 66 we are the top of the bell curve and our bodies will force Baby boomers to sell properties we can no longer walk up stairs. Investment funds are buying properties and charging rents for amounts unsustainable by the next generation. A correction like 2008 (when the first BBs hit retirement age) is just around the corner.
Boomers are born 46-64 so they have been retiring for many years and more to come. Many Boomers have decided to retire in place not move so that’s one of the reasons there is only 1.5 months inventory of real estate for sale when inventory should be 6 months plus. That won’t change anytime soon.

Tim in Indiana

I just renewed a couple CD's at 5.1% and have a few more to roll over in the next month but I'm waiting for the next Fed rate hike. From what i read online they are expected to do another one percent hike within this month. Most banks will follow the hike within a week.

There are also mutual funds that consist of CD's spread over many different banks.

Tim in Indiana

If you don't need it which at your age I would think you would not be touching it I would do it. I'm maxed out with CD's right now and they are the best return right now, most likely will get a little better with interest rate game being played to try and control inflation. Very conservative stock portfolio has good days and bad days which means stagnation.

If you want secure there is really no such thing as "maxed out with CD's", it is one of the few secure options paying more than or close to inflation right now.

And being heavy in short term CD's isn't necessarily bad if you don't want to take the chance on being in the market when the rise comes.

But remember, most people who move money in reaction to a downward trending market usually miss most of the market rise when it does come back. I would have loved to had moved all of my investments into something secure a year ago but my stupid crystal ball failed to warn me, again. :)

pclark

If you want secure there is really no such thing as "maxed out with CD's", it is one of the few secure options paying more than or close to inflation right now.

And being heavy in short term CD's isn't necessarily bad if you don't want to take the chance on being in the market when the rise comes.

But remember, most people who move money in reaction to a downward trending market usually miss most of the market rise when it does come back. I would have loved to had moved all of my investments into something secure a year ago but my stupid crystal ball failed to warn me, again. :)
By that meant my limit in what I want to have tied up is in CD's right now.