Where Two Rivers Meet...

snowdance

John,

Is there any truth to the saying that a tornado will never occur where two rivers meet? I live in Burlington, WI which I think you are familiar with. The Fox river and White river converge right in town. To my knowledge Burlington has never had a tornado. I know a few years back there was a real bad tornado in January (2008?) about 10 or so miles south of here (New Munster, WI). We were discussing this and were wondering if this an old wives tale or if there is any truth to it.

Thanks in advance and hope you're recuperating well.

Patrick

frnash

Tornado tracks

If you have time to experiment with it, this site might help in studying tornado tracks vs. rivers: TornadoHistoryProject.com.

This view (from a search for all tornadows in Wisconsin) shows all tornadoes in Wisconsin from 1950 through 2010, for example.

You can zoom in and scroll around to see more detail. Or you can click on the Search link in the header and enter your own search criteria for tear, month, day, state and even county. One minor nuisance, if you don't find what you want, you have to start a new search by clicking the Search link again.

(I have seen a better tornado track display, but haven't found it yet today.)

jd

Administrator
Staff member
snowdance-

When it comes to tornadoes, the only truth is that they will occur anywhere and anytime they want.

There is no reason why a tornado would not hit an area where two rivers meet.

-John