Which GPS and where to go to get GPS maps

amo

Its that time again, just before Christmas, when we all want to (if you had not already), add a GPS to your sled.

So put your thoughts here on what equipment has worked in:

$1-$100 range
$200-300 range
$300+

Also where do you get your maps from. I am personally looking to add one this year and want to hear from the veterans on what the best choices will be. Can you get all you need out of a $100 model? Color sure is nice but can it be difficult to understand? Who has the easiest interface (hey hands freeze quickly)? Which website(s) seem to support the most trail and points of interest?

Think Snow!

samc

I like my Magellan. It's dated 6 yrs old but I can up load new maps to it and its nice and portable.

Firecatguy

I use the rino530 has two way radio and loading trail maps very easy to do!!

newcam3005.jpg

Hoosier

I believe redpinemapping.com and gpssledmaps.com are the same.

I bought a 60 csx late last season based on my review of all the info out there. It's around $300 or so. If I remember right, the vista csx is around $100 less than that, and the XOG is even cheaper than that. Those seemed to be the most recommended units at those price points. I went with the 60 csx because I thought it would be useful and durable for a long, long time on for a lot of different things - in the car, on the trail, in the boat, on the mountain bike, etc. I haven't used it on the sled yet (I also have to buy maps in the next couple weeks), but overall I've been happy with it. It does feel like a "dated" unit - the software isn't all that intuitive to use, but I can't wait to have it on the sled.

amo

If you can, include mounting options, tips/tricks, wiring. I have a Phazer MTX and I want my GPS below the bars (in case I need to roll it out). Also, I presume some manner of "fixed" point wiring would be best as plugging in a 12v lighter socket may allow for a connection break? I get airborne a bit so I don't want it to come unplugged ;)

Got the websites favorited. I think the interface (color or not) and the expansion memory/upload ability look like they are the mose important features beyond durability?

Think more snow!

Last edited:
Got my garmin 276c last year, couple people
on board had it. Was stolen last summer so look at others,
with gloves on, touch screen does not work well, and most other
gps have a smaller screen.
Everybody has there own opinion on what they have and how well it works.
Bought a new 276c off e-bay for around $350 not the cheapest gps
but I do like all the features.
The thing to remember is too get one that other people have used for
sledding because they have put it through the abuse and if they had
no problems there you go!

biggdave

I have the Oregon 300, and it's not supposed to work well in the cold. I will try it Christmas week in Mohawk

sledzeppelin

I usually recommend four Garmin models:

Nuvi 500
Pros: Good sized high-resolution touch screen. Maps look great on it. Somewhat expensive, but reasonable when you consider it comes with preloaded Topo and road maps.
Cons: Doesn't last long on a charge, so it needs to be powered off the sled. Hard to record tracklogs (doable, but it's not really intended for that).

Etrex Legend HCx (or the Vista HCx which is the same thing but with a compass and altimeter)
Pros: Small and rugged. Lasts a long time on AA batteries. Inexpensive. Great at recording tracklogs.
Cons: Older unit with a pretty small low-resolution screen.

60CSx
Similar to above but a little bigger screen, faster, and better button configuration.

Oregon 200 (or the other models in the Oregon or Colorado line)
Basically all the pros of the Nuvi (except it doesn't come with the topo map) plus all the pros of the Legend HCX. It's a handheld unit that lasts a long time on batteries, and includes a high-res touch screen. I haven't personally tried one, but I've heard good things.

I have maps available for Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, Maine, Ontario, and North Dakota. The Garmin versions are routable, meaning they can generate routes, give you directions, and tell you how many miles it is to your destination. They include tons of gas/food/lodging/parts/repair stops, lakes and rivers, roads (including lots of small fire and forest roads), public land (MN and MI only), cities, counties, power lines, and more. Garmin maps are two for the price of one, and then $10 each for additional states.

http://www.redpinemapping.com/

I'm happy to answer any questions about GPSs or maps.

Hoosier

Sled zep - I have a 60 csx and I was looking at your maps. With your maps, can routes be generated on the unit or does that have to be done on mapsource on the computer?

sledzeppelin

You can do it right on the 60CSx.

To further answer the original question: You're not going to get much out of a $100 GPS. The Legend HCx can be had for around $180, and that's probably the best bang for your buck. A color screen is important, and it's nice to have the SD card slot so you can hold a lot more maps. It's a good solid waterproof GPS, and will do what you need it to.

eyeman

Garmin

Sled zep, do you have any experience with the Oregon 400c? It's on sale until December 24 at West Marine for 300 bucks (normally $500). I'll need to use it on the sled as well as boating inland waters of WI, Canada and traveling the great lakes (MI, Superior, Huron, and Erie). I presently run a Lowrance built-in model (on the boat), but it's older and does not except the SD cards.
Thanks for any guidance.

sledzeppelin

I haven't personally tried the Oregon or Colorado, but they look like great units. The high resolution screen they have is a lot nicer than the other handhelds like the 60CSx and Etrex series. I've heard some people say they have a hard time seeing the screen in bright light, but other people say it's not a problem. I'm thinking of getting an Oregon myself, and if I do I'll certainly post my thoughts on it.