Which Klim jacket?

bluetoysguy

I currently have the Klim Tomahawk jacket from a few years ago. I'm going to get a new one for this season, and would like something pretty much the same, but perhaps a little longer. I like the Tomahawk and have my layering system all dialed in-so I don't want to change the amount of insulation, just a little more length perhaps.

Which model would you all recommend? Unfortunately, I don't have a retailer nearby to go look, so I will probably order up something off the internet. The Klim website tells the features of all their jackets pretty well, but doesn't really explain the benefits and differences very well.

Love my Klim gear BTW!

nitroman

Stick with the Tomahawk if it works the other option is the Valdez and it's the same dimensions as the Tomahawk only it's 3 layer vs 2 layer and it has the comfort mapping. Theres always Arctyerex if your looking for a different fit.

snobinge

Stick with the Tomahawk if it works the other option is the Valdez and it's the same dimensions as the Tomahawk only it's 3 layer vs 2 layer and it has the comfort mapping. Theres always Arctyerex if your looking for a different fit.

I am looking to go with Arc'teryx for a few reasons...I am also a skier. They offer an awesome fit, removable hood(helmet compatible), and a true shell(no insulation, no lining, just shell). I like to layer and I want a true gore pro shell. Arc'teryx makes a great product, but you pay for it. The jacket I am looking at is $570. That's why I am still looking at it! ;)

I currently have the Klim Tomahawk jacket from a few years ago. I'm going to get a new one for this season, and would like something pretty much the same, but perhaps a little longer. I like the Tomahawk and have my layering system all dialed in-so I don't want to change the amount of insulation, just a little more length perhaps.

Which model would you all recommend? Unfortunately, I don't have a retailer nearby to go look, so I will probably order up something off the internet. The Klim website tells the features of all their jackets pretty well, but doesn't really explain the benefits and differences very well.

Love my Klim gear BTW!

We sell and ride in Klim gear, the Valdez looks longer in the back but I can't find anywhere that confirms that.

Stack

The new "Keweenaw" jackets and bibs from Klim are pretty nice, they are really durable and very warm. I have an Inferno mid layer as well, and I still think I may get too hot. I will definitly be wearing the Underarmour cold gear as my base layer: Klims stuff is very nice as well.

Stack

catalac

Stack, is the Inferno mid layer like a fleece? Also need a better base layer. The Underarmor cold gear good stuff? I need to get my layer things "dialed in". Thanks.
Sorry for jumpin on your thread, Bluetoysguy.

Stack

Stack, is the Inferno mid layer like a fleece? Also need a better base layer. The Underarmor cold gear good stuff? I need to get my layer things "dialed in". Thanks.
Sorry for jumpin on your thread, Bluetoysguy.

It is like a fleece (Although Klim calls it the inferno shirt), but thinner than their Everest Fleece jacket. This one is also made of 92% Polyester fleece and 8% spandex. The underarmour cold gear is an awesome base layer, it is very lightweight and will work together with your layers to help you breath and keep you dry. I am not expert, but they do say to make sure you are wearing these synthetic layers and not to mix in anything cotton or it will defeat the purpose.

Note: My buddies with the Valdez and Towgotee shells like the Everest fleece because their jackets do not come insulated. Since The Keweenaw is insulated I went with the slightly thinner Inferno....probably still going to be hot!

Stack

bluetoysguy

FWIW for those looking for layering advice:

I wear a technical long underwear top and bottom (Duotherm, but Under Armour is no doubt better). For the bottom, I wear The North Face windstopper pants (awesome in all conditions) and Klim Freeride pants. For the top, I wear a thin pull-over shirt (not cotton), the Klim Everest Fleece (a heavy-weight fleece), Tech Vest, and Tomahawk Jacket. First thing to come off is the Fleece when I start to get warm. Really warm days I will delete the thin pull-over from the get-go.

That's the system I use for active trail and some basic occassional off-trail riding, and it works for almost all situations except I suppose 20-mile RR grade runs when its well below zero.

Last edited:

scottd

Note: My buddies with the Valdez and Towgotee shells like the Everest fleece because their jackets do not come insulated. Since The Keweenaw is insulated I went with the slightly thinner Inferno....probably still going to be hot!

Stack

I will add a data point as a guy that has Valdez and Togwotee Shells. I bought the Everest stuff and cannot use it. WAY too hot. I suppose I may wear it below 10 degrees but maybe not even then. My Everest jacket has become my daily all the time jacket and the Everest pants just never get used. I do use the Klim base layer and last year was using a Nike Dri-Fit sweatsuit as a mid-layer but am going to Inferno mid layer this year. I will say I spend 80% or better of the time off trail though so I am going slower and working harder. So for me the Everest jacket was still a good purchase because becoming my daily winter jacket it gets worn more than anything but the Everest pants wound up being a waste.

Hoosier

Love my Klim gear BTW!

What's wrong with the old jacket? Seems like you never hear of one wearing out...just curious. You must not be upset about it, since you're buying Klim again.

bluetoysguy

What's wrong with the old jacket? Seems like you never hear of one wearing out...just curious. You must not be upset about it, since you're buying Klim again.

Nothing really wrong with my old jacket other than its starting to show its age a little bit. Don't really NEED a new jacket, but I kinda WANT a new one, plus my wife offered to buy me one for Christmas!