Who cleans the carbs every year Poll

blvette

I just want to see who cleans there carbs every year, atleast for those who still have them. I get so tired of seeing people burn them down for a such a simple maintenance task. I bet the dealers just love these people.

Falcon20

Every year ran the gas out then took 'em apart including float bowl to remove all trace of gas when I had 'em. Seems like a no brainer to me.

jim_golding

i learned my leason a few years ago. Now it is every year on our 4 sleds. Lucky for me younger son loves to clean carbs except on my fusion since it is a pain to deal with the air box.

fredster

For 10 years I have been putting stabil in the last tank of gas for the year, running this through the engine, then turning off the gas, running the carbs dry, and storing etc. (I do a lot of other maintenance like lubing, clean clutches, chaincase oil, etc.) No problems with six sleds. Until this year. Maybe I was just lucky, but until the burndown yesterday I've never had an issue with a lean burn down.

So yes. I am now officially a member of the "clean carbs every year" club. And yes I'm looking at replacing the classic with a cleanfire 600.

latner

I just don't get it...I guess it's luck. I have a '98 doo 700 with over 7000 mi that has never been touched and a '99 doo 583 with over 6000 mi that's also never been touched and have 0 problems (knock on wood). Off season I keep tanks full and start each at least monthly...and keep them stored in enclosed trailer. I also do this with an '02 carbed Harley with over 35000 mi...tank full and start monthly stored in unheated garage. I do keep a trickle charger on the battery. The lawnmower gets nothing and cuts grass year after year. Never have used stabil or Seafoam.

blvette

we run stabil through are too, but it seems like every year when we pull them apart everything has green gunk in there from ethanol is what I was told its from.

versdevil

every year i do. even tho i put seafoam in them and start them monthly. everytime i clean them they are spotless but it only takes that one time of not doing it to make a bad start to the season.

classic_rider

NO never in my life,,,,i like fredster use stabil every year ,, then run till gas runs
out, all other maintence is done but i guess knock on wood ,in all my years have had no problem with burndowns,,,,,,,,guess i better knock on the desk again

lofsfire

every year i do. even tho i put seafoam in them and start them monthly. everytime i clean them they are spotless but it only takes that one time of not doing it to make a bad start to the season.
^
|
|
I do the same thing, but start every 3 months.

lofsfire

NO never in my life,,,,i like fredster use stabil every year ,, then run till gas runs
out, all other maintence is done but i guess knock on wood ,in all my years have had no problem with burndowns,,,,,,,,guess i better knock on the desk again

I use to, use stable but then started cleaning the carbs and saw how bad they looked switched to Sea-foam realized that I could go two year without cleaning if I want the carbs to look like they did when using stable. Stuck with sea-foam but still clean carbs every year.

But I would also say don't change what you doing if it works for you! If you were to dump sea-foam in now you might remove some of the extra gum and clog up a jet.

polarisrider1

I have never cleaned a carb and would not know were to start. Many sleds, many miles no isues. Only thing I can think of is that we don't have a ton of ethanol in our gas in MI. in the past. I just start the sleds about once every other month in the summer. same with bike in the winter. No stabil and not sure what sea foam is. I must be running on luck with this. I do run Premium in the sleds and try to buy gas from higher volume locations.

erieaddict

I used to clean carbs every season, but use stabil in all of my "toys".I fill the tankl, mix in the correct amount of stabil, then I drain the gas out of the carb bowls and make sure they are fogged real good to protect the cylinders and bearings. between 2 jet skis, the boat (2 motors), 3 sleds, 2 ATV's, 2 motorcycles, sno blower and weedwackers i would forever be cleaning a carb for something. has worked for me. Maybe i have been lucky.

simonsr1

I used to clean the carbs everyyear for about 12 years, everytime I would take them apart they were always clean, no gunk, sediment, varnish, so I finally gave up and stopped doing it, I always run premium, I always fill the fuel tank all the way, before putting them into storage, I even leave the fuel in the carbs, never had an issue, the only thing that I do now is drain the sediment traps on the bottom of the float bowls, to get rid of any moisture or sediment.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of mine I have, some I haven't. After the last ride of the year, I pour some sea foam in, and start it up once a week or so. Never had a burn down due to a plugged jet.

likinit2

stabil and turn the key off. Then I start it up every month or so. I have been doing this since the late 70's without a problem other than using Klotz back in the mid 70's and ended up with a rusty crank and bearings.