Why is it getting so warm so fast?

440_chazz

This is some really weird weather. I am staring at mid seventies down by me by midweek and its only mid March. I know its March and temperatures go on wild ride but by this much?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Just as in the case of a huge snow storm at this time of the year, its really just the luck of the draw. While you are seeing unusual 70's this week, it's snowing in Seattle- also something quite unusual at any time of the year.

Also, just like happened for the first half of the winter, Alaska and eastern Siberia are very cold and snowy and are stealing most of the wintry show.

-John

ibendwire

My wife and I are heading to Las Vegas this weekend and the weather this week in Las Vegas has been in the mid to upper 70's. The day we arrive the high is suppose to be in the low 50's with a chance of rain/snow. Back here in Wisconsin we are suppose to be in the 70's. Go figure. Never thought I would have to go back to Wisconsin to get the warm temperatures. The sad thing is my wife and I are not big gamblers. We just enjoy walking around all day and seeing the sights. I guess I won't be packing shorts.

mjkaliszak

Kind of spooky.... the 70's all week. I got screwed at my new job, my weekend off this weekend and no reasonable snow anywhere close. The spring is supposed to we wetter & warmer than usual, and we have been riding at this time years ago. I hope that is not a sign of another poor winter to come. There was even rain forcasted in WAWA for early this week ??? Seems to be where the most snow depth is according to the NOAA maps. Thought about buying another new sled " sno-check " but with a 12 and only 350 miles on it ???? I think I will pass on ordering another new one. My uncle in " central NY " another snow belt was talking about putting his garden in ????

Polarice

Just as in the case of a huge snow storm at this time of the year, its really just the luck of the draw. While you are seeing unusual 70's this week, it's snowing in Seattle- also something quite unusual at any time of the year.

Also, just like happened for the first half of the winter, Alaska and eastern Siberia are very cold and snowy and are stealing most of the wintry show.

-John

Do you believe that this is going to help the 'snow blanket' to reflect the sun's rays?

olsmann

When ever the weather patterns seem odd I always remember john saying this...

"If you look at one day, the temps might be 10-20 degrees warmer/colder than average, and precip might be 200% of average for that day. Look at 5 days combined, including that initial day, and the temps will likely be less than 15 degrees above/below average and the precip might be something like 150% of average for that time frame. Expand the period of study to 30 days at the temps are likely to be 1-3 degrees above/below and precip might be something like 100-130% of average. Go all the way out to a year and it is hard to find an area or even station that is more than 1 degree above/below the average for temp and more than about 110-120% of average for precip."

"No drought lasts forever, they are always broken, it always rains again. No flood lasts forever, the rains always stop and within a period of time, things return to "normal". The same can be said for temps. Cold snaps come and go, so do heat waves. Nothing lasts forever in the weather. "

And this ....

"Another method I like to use is similar to the previously mentioned method, only it looks at what the pervious several seasons have been like not just the past few months, examines them for any anomalous weather and then sees if there is any imbalance that has occurred in the past 5-15 years. If there is some kind of imbalance, then my idea is that the more types of seasons a particular region sees, the greater the chances that it will see the opposite occur. I find that the best way to illustrate things is to give an example and so I will do that here; I probably do not have to tell persons in areas of central WI that the past several winters have been rather poor in the snowfall department. So it can be said that they have had an unusually high amount of low snow seasons in the past several years. So unless the climate is changing in central WI, they have a greater chance that one of the next few or several of the next few winters will be the opposite and provide above average snow."

The robins have'nt seen any of the three snows, One my grandfather used to say.
And I'm guessing this will be one of the years we get dumped on mid April.

Brent;