WI registration ?

D

Deleted member 10829

No, as long as you have your WI sticker on the sled.

durphee

We had the same thing happen on our trip and we were told that you can only have the sled legally registered in one state. So it's either registered in Illinois or Wisconsin, not
Both. So based on that, you need an out of state trail sticker for one of those states based upon where it's currently registered. Not saying this is correct but that's exactly what I was told by a DNR officer. Maybe I was getting the run around or wrong info.

We had the same thing happen on our trip and we were told that you can only have the sled legally registered in one state. So it's either registered in Illinois or Wisconsin, not
Both. So based on that, you need an out of state trail sticker for one of those states based upon where it's currently registered. Not saying this is correct but that's exactly what I was told by a DNR officer. Maybe I was getting the run around or wrong info.
I have a feeling you got this imfo from a ILL DNR officer and it is not correct as far as WI goes.

sjshaner

If you live in Illinois your sled MUST be registered in Illinois. You do NOT need to live in Wisconsin to have your sled registered in Wisconsin. You would just use your Illinois address. I have not seen it in writing anywhere that says you cannot have your
sled registered in more than 1 state. I could be wrong about that but I have not seen it anywhere yet. Also if your sled is going to be used in the state of Wisconsin for more that 15 Days (I believe) in a row it is also required to be registered in Wisconsin.

So, if registered in Wisconsin, you do not need a trail sticker, yet. I have seen on some other boards and forums that there is a
rumor that Wisconsin is thinking about requiring trail passes for everyone, residents and non-residents alike, the same as
Michigan.

whitedust

If you live in Illinois your sled MUST be registered in Illinois. You do NOT need to live in Wisconsin to have your sled registered in Wisconsin. You would just use your Illinois address. I have not seen it in writing anywhere that says you cannot have your
sled registered in more than 1 state. I could be wrong about that but I have not seen it anywhere yet. Also if your sled is going to be used in the state of Wisconsin for more that 15 Days (I believe) in a row it is also required to be registered in Wisconsin.

So, if registered in Wisconsin, you do not need a trail sticker, yet. I have seen on some other boards and forums that there is a
rumor that Wisconsin is thinking about requiring trail passes for everyone, residents and non-residents alike, the same as
Michigan.

Now that would be a problem cost wise not keen on that at all!

D

Deleted member 10829

I get updates on what's going on from the AWSC and here is what is being proposed in WI. At first look, I like the idea! Maybe we can get more people to join clubs!

AWSC - Association of Wisconsin Snowmobile Clubs, Inc.
529 Trail Side Drive, Suite 100 – DeForest, WI 53532
Phone: 800.232.4108 / 608.846.5530 /Fax: 608.846.5534
Web: www.awsc.org  E-mail: awsc@awsc.org

LEGISLATIVE ALERT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
TO: AWSC Executive Board Members, Past Presidents, County Directors, Reps, Youth Advisors & Reps
DATE: December 20, 2011
RE: Introduction of CAP/STEP Initiative – LRB-3295
The CAP/STEP initiative, so vital to the future of Wisconsin’s snowmobile program, has been officially introduced to members of the Legislature. Senator Luther Olsen is the sponsor.
CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS IMMEDIATELY and ask them to co-sponsor LRB-3295, the CAP/STEP bill.
The toll-free number for the Legislative Hotline is 1-800-362-9472. Operators will direct you to the offices of your State Senator and State Representative based upon your home address.
If you prefer to contact your legislators via email, all Assembly and Senate addresses can be found at:
www.legis.wisconsin.gov

LRB-3295 SUMMARY
Introduced by Senator Luther Olsen, LRB-3295 makes registration of a snowmobile a one-time event rather than a requirement every two years. Annual trail passes would need to be purchased and displayed.
LRB-3295 also sets the cost of an annual trail pass at $35.00, and essentially provides a credit of $20.00 to snowmobile club and AWSC members who have, on average paid that same amount in annual dues. The cost of an annual trail pass for these AWSC and club members would be $15.00.
This legislation is designed to generate revenue for the Snowmobile Program while providing an incentive for sled owners to become active members of local clubs.
CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS AT 1-800-362-9472

durphee

Snow freak, you ever try finding an I'LL DNR agent outside of boating and hunting seasons in illinois? Good luck! No, we were in Eagle river at the time. No biggie, got a trail permit for 35, drop In the bucket to sled. I live in Illinois and register my sled in Wisconsin since we own a cabin and it stays up there and it stays there.

Snow freak, you ever try finding an I'LL DNR agent outside of boating and hunting seasons in illinois? Good luck! No, we were in Eagle river at the time. No biggie, got a trail permit for 35, drop In the bucket to sled. I live in Illinois and register my sled in Wisconsin since we own a cabin and it stays up there and it stays there.
Actually where i lived in central ILL for some reason the DNR seemed to know where i was at all times they liked to check me all the time thru all seasons.Even got checked on the sleds when we could ride there.Seemed there was one that didnt like me much.I have also looked at the WI snowmobile regs again to try to make shure on the rules and from what i find you should have been perfectly legal.It actually even says a sled in WI for over 15 days needs to be registered in WI.And i find nothing that says a sled can not be registered in 2 states.I also have friends from IL that have been doing it with no problems.Seems you got a raw deal.I am not tyring to argue just posting this for future reference.As this is the way the regs read to me at this time.

durphee

snowfreak,
no argument here, I am glad to hear about the information. We thought maybe we were getting the run around but just decided to buy the sticker and move on. I think the point of confusion for us was that he bought the sled and it was registered to another person in Wisconsin, then he registered it in Illinois. So the Wisconsin registration was actually under the previous owners name, not his. Maybe thats where all the problems came from. I am glad people chimmed in, now I know the regualtions better. As for ILL DNR, that does sound wierd. You must have a more aggressive agent in the area, it seems we never see one UNLESS we are on the Illinois River, they patrol the boat landings heavily.

nic

I think that DNR agent was mis-informed. If he had said, your WI registration isn't 'legal' since it's not in your name- that would be one thing. But the 'can't be registered in 2 states' is not right. I've been doing that for years. I live in IL, I register in IL so that if/when I can ride here, I am not bothered. Plus- it's $18 for three years- I think I can spare that. I then register my sled in WI as well- I put my IL address (no trying to fake a 'local' address or anything). Have both on the sled, been stopped or 'checked' by DNR that way- never had an issue. The 2 yr WI registration is $30, as opposed to a 1 yr $35 trail sticker. Two years of riding for the price of one. Plus- I've been told that more of my $$ actually goes to snowmobiling and the trails via registration, than the trail stickers. WI DNR is also much faster- I just got another sled, filled out their form online, and had my sticker and reg card in the mail in less than a week.

snowfreak,
no argument here, I am glad to hear about the information. We thought maybe we were getting the run around but just decided to buy the sticker and move on. I think the point of confusion for us was that he bought the sled and it was registered to another person in Wisconsin, then he registered it in Illinois. So the Wisconsin registration was actually under the previous owners name, not his. Maybe thats where all the problems came from. I am glad people chimmed in, now I know the regualtions better. As for ILL DNR, that does sound wierd. You must have a more aggressive agent in the area, it seems we never see one UNLESS we are on the Illinois River, they patrol the boat landings heavily.
His WI registration from the previous owner can be transfered for 10 dollars.So depending when his current WI stickers exspire may be worth him doing for next year.It can all be done on the internet thru the WI DNR website.

tnehlsen

Ive been doing the same thing as "nic" for the past 3 years and never had a problem. We ride from N IL into WI when conditions allow (just need a few more inches on the trail) but I sport both the WI and IL stickers on the side both registered to my IL address. No trail pass.