Widespread system storms - then vs. now.

southyoop

Just wondering, I remember back as late as the early 1990's, watching Karl's weather forecasts with radar, there would be widespread storms that pretty much the entire "comma" of the precip was snow. This was not a strange or uncommon occurrence back then.

Now, it seems that most (if not all) of the system snows (aka storms) we get, there is a warm side and cold side, and the precip band for snows, or at least heavy snows, is relatively narrow compared to the precip band for rain.

Back then, "Colorado lows" didn't seem to have much of a warm side - they pretty much were all snow.

Is this somewhat accurate? Is there an explanation for this?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
To tell you the honest truth, I have not really noticed a difference. Each low is going to be different from the other to some degree. As far as a change in the overall pattern, I have not really noticed this.

I will say that it is pretty usual to have a "warm" side and "cold" side to low pressure systems. This difference in temperature is what what the storm actually feeds on.

-John

Go Fast or Go Home

John--I have another question for you.

The Western side of the Lower has been, and as I type, is currently getting pounded with Lake Effect from 12"-24". Your forecast graphic has them in the 1"-4" range. Is this because radar does not pick up Lake Effect because it comes in under radar ?

Thanks
Don~

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Don.

No, the main reasons why I only have that area in the 1-4" range is because the heavy snows falling there are pretty localized. You can probably drive 30-40 miles north or south of the main band of heavy snow and be in only light snows. Also, a change in wind direction of only a degree or two would change the location of the heaviest snow fairly significantly. So it really is too hard to pinpoint exactly where the heaviest snow band will set up and also very hard to physically draw it on the map. Same thing goes for LES spots in all of the Midwest. Some locales in NW lower MI have gotten pounded, but not all areas, same with the UP.

Plus, I find most folks are a lot more forgiving of my forecast errors if they get more and not less than was forecasted!

-John