Width restriction?

Bought a new side by side this year and would like to take it up to the Keweenaw to ride sometime this fall. I was looking at the Keweenaw ATV club site and read that the orv trails are open to orv's 50" and less in width. Is this true? Mine is 63" wide. Don't want to trailer it all the way up there if it isn't legal to ride. Thanks for any info.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I cannot tell you for sure, but I don't believe it is a law, or at least one that would be enforced :) I have never heard of any law on width restrictions. I do know that there are some gated areas in which you have to ride around the gates. They are there to keep trucks from tearing the trails up.

I will e mail you the phone number for the club president and he will be able to set you strait.

-John

frnash

… I will e mail you the phone number for the club president and he will be able to set you strait [sic]. "
Strait? Here's a few "straits" fer ya:
1. (click →) Strait of Hormuz
2. (click →) Strait of Gibraltar
3. (click →) Strait of Magellan
4. (click →) Strait of Malacca
5. (click →) Straits of Mackinac
"The main strait flows under the Mackinac Bridge and connects two of the Great Lakes, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron."
… and many more here:
(click →) List of straits.

Ya got that "straight" now? :devilish:
(Just jerkin' yer chain, John! — But you know that.)

P.S.: I hope the great move is going well this weekend!

Last edited:

IOWASLEDDER

Bought a new side by side this year and would like to take it up to the Keweenaw to ride sometime this fall. I was looking at the Keweenaw ATV club site and read that the orv trails are open to orv's 50" and less in width. Is this true? Mine is 63" wide. Don't want to trailer it all the way up there if it isn't legal to ride. Thanks for any info.
You are fine. There are a few gates to go around but my 64 inch wide RZR has never had a problem. There are trails in the U.P. that are 50" wide only but very few. The best map I've seen that shows what and where these trails are is the one you can purchase from MI-TRALE. It's a binder type map that is pretty thick but it is so detailed and easy to use. Just turn to the page in the area that you are riding in and it gives a detailed account of routes you can ride legally. Highly recommend purchasing!!

south of the bridge
trail 13 from greenland to bergland around norwich rd is the only close
gate
my rzr turbo 4 with 30" tires rub the gate a little
we rode 1200 miles in 2 weeks and every thing was great
i want a rzr turbo 4s which is 74 " but it wont fit between that gate
no dust it was a good 2 weeks

eao

Trail 134 to the Harbor is Closed due to logging..I was told no way to get through....gated?

*TRAIL CLOSED*
The Keweenaw Trail (Trail134) Is closed on the Mandan Rd, from Lac La Belle Rd. to the Hoar Lake Trail due to LOGGING. Please stay out of this area for your safety and the safety of the LOGGERS.

Last edited:

kwikgren

There is a brand new and substantial gate on 134 just before the Montreal river bridge. The gate is currently open (as of noon today), but the trail is heavily posted as being closed to all vehicles including ORV's gate open or not. I am assuming that this gate will be closed at some point in time. There is also a substantial pile of brush and boulders closing trail 132 at the 132/134 intersection. It seems like a rather major effort to close this trail if it is only short term and with grooming season potentially only a little over a month away, inquiring minds become curious as to the status of this major trail looking down the road.

eao

This was in newspaper;

"A section of ORV trail in Keweenaw County will be closed for the remainder of the fall.

Logging operations have forced the state to shut down about 10 miles of trail 134, beginning two miles east of Lac La Belle Road, and continuing along the South Mandan Loop to Powder House Road.

There is no alternate trail to connect with Copper Harbor.

The trail will reopen once logging is completed. That’s anticipated to be in early December, in time for snowmobile season."

mezz

No alternate to connect to CH from Lac La Belle, however, you can always take 132 to 3 & up into CH.-Mezz

kwikgren

No alternate to connect to CH from Lac La Belle, however, you can always take 132 to 3 & up into CH.-Mezz

As far as I know, trail 3 has been gated just before Brockway Mtn. Drive all summer. This trail is not shown on the 2019-2020 Keweenaw ATV trails map, so I am assuming that this is not an official ATV trail. To connect to Brockway Mtn. Drive riders are probably taking the old snowmobile trail and I'm not sure how much, if any, trespassing is involved on that route but it is not an official ATV route as far as I know. I do know that ATV's are now allowed to ride on Keweenaw County roads on a trial basis with a speed limit of 25mph. We'll see how that works out. The hope is that ATV riders actually ride on the pavement, it will lessen the negative impact of riding on the shoulders or half on and half off. The speed limit is intended to reduce conflict with other motorists and also ATV tires do not perform well on pavement especially at high speeds and safety is a real concern. Hopefully it will work out so all will be safe. Of course, highways M-26 and US-41 are not county roads, and are closed to ATV's.