Wiring issues on a 98 mxz 440

alley mechanic

We have a 98 skidoo mxz 440 fan cooled snowmobile, that when i started it up this year for the first time i noticed sparks coming from the four wire connector that comes from the stator to the wiring harness. The connector is mounted to the crankcase by a clip and a screw, when i unbolted it and inspected the four wire conector .ir had a melted spot on the btm looks like the yellow wire with a blk stripe touched the mounting clip. I ordered a new connector from skidoo , in the meantime i took out the wires from the connector and forgot to write down which wire goes to its matching wire the stator side has a blk wire , a yellow wire with a brown stipe a yellow wire ,a blk wire with a yellow stripe the harness side has a brown wire, a yellow wire a yellow wier with a brown stripe , a blk wire ,any help would be appreciated since i dont wat to guess .

jimfsr

The yellow wires go to their corresponding mates in the harness, the black/yellow goes to black and the brown goes to black(ground wire). Brown is chassis ground for all systems. the yellow is power for lights and acc. the yellow/black is for ignition power(spark), and the black/yellow is for kill switch. Grounding that circut kills the motor(ground the coils, no more spark) This should be correct. if no spark try switching the two black and brown combos. You wont hurt anything, The sparks were from one of the yellow power wires touching the frame(in the harness) If it ran when it was sparking, it was the lighting system that was arcing.
Let me know how you come out...

alley mechanic

98 mxz 440 wiring issues

thanks for that information i will try it out this weeked have to work lots of over time will let you know how it turns out

alley mechanic

alley mechanic

wiring issues on a 98 mxz440

Thanks jimfser just got done working on the mxz 440 the information you posted to my question was correct all is running well. Now all i need is some snow here in indiana , thanks again , alley mechanic