Wiring my SUV for trailer kit

Bullcheater

One would think that this should be a fifteen minute job. Boy, was i wrong. Went to NAPA to get a flat 4 kit for the Expedition. Gave them the model and year. They didn,t have one in stock,and said wasn,t any available at the warehouse. HUH?. But would sell me a dust covered universal kit that i could hotwire in. off his shelf. I politely moved on. Went to Carquest. they weren,t sure of what i needed exactly. so they asked me to try somewhere else as they can,t afford to pay shipping on a part that i don,t need and send back. HUH? I called the Ford dealer to get the exact part needed. Even if it was thru them. They said that they are required to put in full trailer packages only, not just the kit i wanted. And that would be spendy for what i want. He then gave me a number of a small repair shop run by a former employee that went on his own that he recomended. Said guy will fix me rite up and know what to get and do. He said that the hook up is there up in the paneling and could be on either side and if it has amber turn signals it may be a different hookup aswell. It ends up being two blocks from the wifes work so I will have him take care of it during her day. And guess where he is getting the kit thru. NAPA wharehouse catalog . Good Grief!!! Took four businesses, 2 hrs to get this done. And people wonder why there businesses fail. THUMBS UP to the independent guy who went on his own from Ford. Country needs more like him.

favoritos

No kidding. I had a vehicle that was supposedly pre wired for everything. I wanted to confirm this before I started to cut and splice a controller. Nobody could verify. They even went to their online parts diagrams.

I ended up finding the true answer on an online forum. The forum even had pics of where to plug in the pigtale that was included in the tow package hidden under my spare tire.(found out about that on the forum too.:) )

I later found out that the dealer had a local company do all their non-equipped tow installations.

Bullcheater

Wife had the vehicle before i had her. ha ha!! she bought it used. no wiring and no hitch. just the bumper holes for a ball hitch.

rakins800

wow...never heard of a Exp. coming that way. thought if it was 4x4 it would at least have the 4 flat and the frame hitch from the factory. anywho, glad you got it taken care of. does it have the 5.4 motor?? if so,you should be good to go........