Wis trail sticker / DNR registrstion issue

pirate

I'm a IL primary resident , but own a cabin in Villa county . Bought and registered my new sled in Wi in Sept . (from Trackside , in Eagle River ) Sled is kept in Wis also .

I went to the WI DNR website last week to order up my trail sticker .

Now here is my beef , I had to pay the $50 because my primary driver's lic was from IL .. Regardless of being a WI property owner and regardless of the sled being registered and bought & stored in Wi .
There was no way around on the DNR website .. This seems wrong to me .. Thoughts ?
Also had to pay a $3 fee to .. So $53 in total ..

And on a 2nd note , I did not join my local club this year because the one in my area raised there membership to $25 in state and $30 for out of state members . That seems odd to me that they raised there fee's , isn't that controlled/set by Wis or can they set there fee's at whatever price they want ?
Thx

durphee

Follow the guide sheet snobuilder posted, it's very user friendly. Purchasing your sled in Wisconsin or being a property owner has no bearing on the trail sticker process, it's where you register it. You, like me, live out of state and register it in wisconsin. You don't have to be a member of your local sleddin club, although I did join the club that grooms the trails where in ride most, so you can join any club in wisconsin. So, join the AWSC, pick a club and get the $10 sticker. If not, call and get your $30 sticker.

yamadooed

With your Wi registration numbers it should be only $30 per sled... When searching for clubs you'll notice some of the more active charge more which only seems fitting...

snobuilder

The membership $$ ain't squat when it comes to the revenue needed to maintain trails. It takes active volunteers and fund raisers along with state funding through sled registrations and now trail passes to keep the trails rideable.

pirate

Got a hold of the DNR this afternoon . Seems to have been a computer issue . But in fact only $30 was what I was supposed to pay . So returning the new sticker and getting a refund , then re applying . A slight pain . But I will say both people I talked to at the DNR were great and had the whole thing rectified in 5 minutes . To bad IL can't be like that when you call down state lol

- - - Updated - - -

Thx , ya I called at 4:30 got a person in 2 rings , amazing lol . Had it all fixed in 5 min's ..

snobuilder

Good to hear you got it resolved.

Under Gov. Walker I believe we have new folks in charge of DNR and state tourism. Seems to be better cust. service all around.

longtrack

Some Club members thought they could go to DNR service center and buy their Trail Pass for $10. They had to pay $30. If you want it for $10 you have to go thru the AWSC. I told him in September to order his and he said he would wait for Snow. Guess he should have sent his $10 in September.

durphee

But I will say both people I talked to at the DNR were great and had the whole thing rectified in 5 minutes . To bad IL can't be like that when you call down state lol

- - - Updated - - -
Yeah, I live in Illinois and trying to get something done through the State is more than a joke. Do they just hire the most unqualified person they can find? When I apply for a boat sticker you can plan on a 3 month wait. Its actually hard to be that inefficient.

snobuilder

Some Club members thought they could go to DNR service center and buy their Trail Pass for $10. They had to pay $30. If you want it for $10 you have to go thru the AWSC. I told him in September to order his and he said he would wait for Snow. Guess he should have sent his $10 in September.

That was the one thing that still doesn't sit right with me in the new trail pass system. I'd say that at least 50% of our membership are opportunity riders. That is, they wait for local snow and the trails to open and then give it a rip. The new trail pass idea chits on them folks. They have a low cost trail sled, they can't pay to play "up north" so they wait and see if the local trails might open. Then they are left scrambing to get a trail pass.

Sitting on these sled sites talkin' up that this isn't a poor mans sport might eventually lead to it being no ones sport. I'd say that 2/3 a sled registrations are the folks who may or, now more than likely may NOT ride because they didn't want to waste money on a trail pass they never used...or take a chance without a pass.

blu2u2

Members who belong to both a snowmobile club and the AWSC will be able to buy the trail pass for $10.
The discounted trail passes will only be available through the AWSC and it will be the responsibility of the AWSC to verify current membership. They will be available by:

1. ordering online at www.awsc.org with a credit card
2. mailing in an order form with payment
3. calling the AWSC office and placing an order with a credit card
4. walking into the office and placing an order.

For the past seven months the above has been promoted...!