Wood burner?

My friend has a wood burner with a blower he said i can have. I am thinking of using it to heat my garage that way I can cut down on electric bill. I knjow they can be dangerous if not used correctly but anyone have any experience with them? how would I set it up. with a blower is there anyway i can have it outside an then force the heat into the garage. not a real big space. any help would be nice thanks. never worked with one just one in our cabin but is a different setup.

anonomoose

I am not sure why you think a wood stove is dangerous in a garage unless you are going to have gasoline fumes in there. All combustable stoves have an element of danger to them...but reasonable caution should keep you out of trouble.

If it does have a blower that works, you could duct the blower into the garage and keep the stove outside. But you will leave some of the heat there too.

Air that gets blowin into the garage usually needs to have a return flow out of it too. Unless it is really loosely built, then it will find those cracks and exit there.

See thats what I was thinking. I know I will loose heat with it being outside but its not a real big place so I figured it would be ok. So if I get it duct into the garage that will work? then what shall i do so it has a return flow?

mezz

You should be aware that there is a proper mechanical code for installation of heating units & supplemental sources of heat. There might also be local ordinances that need to be concerned with as well. A unit of this nature is not designed to be out in the elements not to mention, you will not capture the amount of heat the unit can produce if it is out in cold air. If the area you are trying to heat is not large, don't use the blower. Radiant heat may suffice which you could move around with a small fan.-Mezz

yeah its out in the country ordinance and all that is no problem. my brother works heating an cooling so he is doing the installation.

anonomoose

Ideally, you would take the cold air off the floor area as far away from the heat inlet as possible, and having the return come back to the wood stove, but actually anywhere out the sidewall would work. You are pumping air in, and for the air to flow properly, you need to provide a place for equal amount of air to escape or exit the building...otherwise you are sort of creating a balloon with no place for the heated air to go, and back pressure preventing it from gett'n into the garage.

What Mezz is talking about is that there are ordinances against wood smoke nowadays, and since the stove will be outside, (coincidently where the wood pile is) you need to at least put some sort of roof over the stove to prevent rain and snow gettin on it, unless you are spending the big bucks and buying an outdoor stove.

Just a set of 4 by 4 poles on 4 corners with support 2x4's going between them, and perhaps a cheap metal roof with left over metal roofing from somebodies roofing job would work. Stove pipe thru the roof. If it leaks a bit to the stove it won't hurt it much if you keep fire in it. Off season, need to prevent rain from rusting it.

Otherwise there is no reason you could not do what you want to do. Remember every turn of the air pipe restricts the flow of the blower. Straight is best if possible.

Snap a pic when you're done and post it up....sort of curious how this will turn out for you.