Wood pellet smoker grills

mtb1115

I love my gas and charcoal grills but I'm looking to up grade my smoker, I know the pellet fired ones are a bit expensive so I am looking to see if any has used one or has any recommendations ?

I too am an avid griller/smoker and have wondered about these pellet smokers or the Bradley brand name smoker where you have to buy the wood-flavored bisquettes. The only thing I have wondered about is the manufactured pellets or bisquettes and how exactly the are produced. You never really know what's going into them? I like to have complete control over my smoke starting with knowing exactly what is going in my fire. Hand cut and home dried oak off my property or if I have to the pre packaged hickory by Weber or the like. Those bags of chunks are just that; chunks of wood with no need for any sort of preservative or additive that may be present in manufactured pellets and bisquettes.

I personally "wood" save the extra money that a pellet smoker costs, upgrade to a nicer old-school smoker and spend that extra cash on some nice pork butts.

pull_my_pork.jpg ←MMMMMMMMMM

smokin'.jpg ←personally a $45 brinkmann water smoker works excellent for me

Maybe John will chime in here or knows something about them? I know he is an advocate of the Weber Smokey Mountain but maybe he has an opinion.

mtb1115

I like the idea that you fill the hopper with your pellets of choice then "set it and forget it" as I love smoked food and don't always have time at work or home to tend the fire and check the temps and Yes the pellet grills are quite expensive.... From what I've read some of the pellet manufactures use all of the specific species listed on the bag and some use a blend with a flavored oil or additive so they can control the BTU's.... Of course HH Northern sells a pellet extruder so one could make their own blend. A few places I have eaten at around here use a commercial pellet smoker and the food is great so I'm not worried about using them.

I like the idea that you fill the hopper with your pellets of choice then "set it and forget it" as I love smoked food and don't always have time at work or home to tend the fire and check the temps and Yes the pellet grills are quite expensive.... From what I've read some of the pellet manufactures use all of the specific species listed on the bag and some use a blend with a flavored oil or additive so they can control the BTU's.... Of course HH Northern sells a pellet extruder so one could make their own blend. A few places I have eaten at around here use a commercial pellet smoker and the food is great so I'm not worried about using them.

Good info to know, thanks.......

srt20

I have a Traeger grill. Have only had it for a short while. But so far I like it. I have eaten alot of food off Traeger grills in the past, father-in-law has one also. Its always good. I love the set it and forget it. We got the digital upgrades for better control because I admit Im not a great cook. They are expensive, but my wife wanted it. I aint gonna argue with her....

btw, we had a little damage on the hopper from, I assume shipping. Called Traeger. They wanted a pic. Emailed them a pic, and they said ok, and sent a new hopper. So the customer service seems good also.

Last edited:

pippy_b

I have a Traeger and the Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker. I like them both for different reasons. The Weber is great if you have the time to start the fire and check in on it every 4 hours. Awesome flavors off the Weber.

I like the Traeger for Saturdays on the lake. I get up, plug it in, put the meat on and leave. 6-8 hours later, I return to an awesome meal. The digital thermometer is a must!!!!