Yamaha Ventures 2013 VS 2001

mjw66

I have a rookie question regarding the above sleds.

I bought both sled this past summer used. These are the first sleds have owned.

The 2001 is triple cylinder 600 and has about 2500 miles. It drinks a lot of gas and top is only about 55 and is slow getting up to it. Does this seem right?

Of course the only thing i have to compare to is the 2013 which is a 4 stroke and has great performance.

Thoughts? Thanks!

hybrid

there is something wrong with your 01 triple
sounds like ur only runing on 2 cylinders
ck ur plugs/compression and spark
if thats all good
check carbs might need to be cleaned

Last edited:

whitedust

That triple should roar it was the best in its day. Take it in have engine and clutches gone thru. When reworked it is a strong 600. The suspension well that’s another story. 😉

euphoric1

Agree with both hybrid and whitedust! something is not right with the triple for sure and may be something as simple as a fouled plug and would explain only being able to hit 55 and using a lot of gas you should be able to add 45 mph to that number. you could start the sled and one by one disconnect a spark plug wire while its running and reattach and move on to the next. Place close attention to the sound of the engine when you do so and you should easily be able to determine the problem cylinder (if there is one) and then just identify what the cause is, ignition, compression or carburetion. Plugs are cheap and would start there, otherwise do like I said and if it is a engine issue you will easily be able to identify what cylinder and then determine the cause from there.

old abe

As I remember, some of the Yami triples of that era in time, had a problem with the cranks getting out of timing? A friend of mine encountered that issue with his Yami triple. Perhaps you could try, and call Pat's Yamah for some good solid Yamaha advice?

mjw66

No not yet. the sleds are up north. My plan is to change out the spark plugs next time up there.4

mjw66

Just a follow- up.....I did change the plugs but it did not help at all.

I called the guy i bought it from and he picked it up. Said it was running only two cylinders and had some water/dirt in fuel tank. Brought it back and runs much better but still top end around 50-55mph @ almost 8,000 rpms going across lake.

Again runs better but no top end???

Other issue i noticed going down trail @ 40 ish the backend fish tails or doesn't follow properly?

Any ideas.

Again I am new at this and appreciate any ideas!

whitedust

Engine ,clutches or both , fish tailing is too much pressure on skis harden center shock. That era sled didn’t have much more than 1 “ track lug so no comparison to Venture with ripsaw.

dakota

Certainly something is still not right. Did any of the plugs look wet or white when you changed them? Could indicate a carb issue. have you tried disconnecting a plug wire one at at time as suggested above? if you pull the wire and rpm's drop, that plug is firing (good). If there is no change in rpm, you've found the problem cylinder(bad). Check compression of the problem cylinder. Check to see if that plug has spark. other likely cause could be a carb issue for the problem cylinder. being an older sled there is a good chance is has sat at some point which could gum up the carbs. sounds like the previous owner cleaned the tank, but didn't see mention of him cleaning the carbs. that's usually the first thing to check on an older sled that has sat.