Your homes exterior.

slimcake

John, curious about your siding on your home. I noticed that the weather is fading the ceder siding on the front and lower sides. Is there a sealer or something for this or do you plan to just let it run its course. Just curious. Thanks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
It's one of those projects that just seems to be continue to be delayed. I do plan to put a finish on the outside of the cabin (Sikkens), but since I have waited so long, I will first need to do a little prep work to the wood to make sure I have a nice clean surface. I also then plan to put up some gutters on the one side of the house where the water drips off and hits the sidewalk and then splashes back up onto the house.

With a little luck, next spring or autumn will find me working on that.

-John

slimcake

I kinda figured that was the deal. I know about the chore list and the never end additions being made to it..... I have heard good things about sikkins.

D

Deleted member 10829

1st annual Sikkens stain in?

It's one of those projects that just seems to be continue to be delayed. I do plan to put a finish on the outside of the cabin (Sikkens), but since I have waited so long, I will first need to do a little prep work to the wood to make sure I have a nice clean surface. I also then plan to put up some gutters on the one side of the house where the water drips off and hits the sidewalk and then splashes back up onto the house.

With a little luck, next spring or autumn will find me working on that.

-John

Maybe next year we can cut the wood (2nd annual) and do some wood prep and staining?

D

Deleted member 10829

I will talk with rp7x and we'll come up with a plan next summer for the fall.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.

That would be great. I don't know if Sikkens can be sprayed through a piston pump sprayer, but I have a brand new one sitting in the shop. I had hoped it would work and then I could just finish the job by going over it with a brush as I go.

I guess only one way to find out!

-John

snocrazy

I have the same problem with the water dripping and splashing on the siding and doors on the front of the house where there is concrete. I get so much snow build up on the south side of my roof. The north faces a lake and all of the snow blows over the house and a lot lands on the south side of the ridge.
I started looking around at gutter systems with the heaters. A regular gutter would for sure get ripped off by the ice and snow build up.

You have any thoughts on these ice gutter heater systems?
Will you just slap up a gutter with out?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I have not looked into the gutter heaters and don't think I will use them. I have a metal roof at a 12/12 pitch, so I have no issues with ice. The snow does slide off the roof, but most of the time does so with such force that is flies past the fascia.

I was planning on either trying to find some low profile ones and have them sit down further, so that the snow sliding off my roof does not collect in them, or perhaps just put them up in a manner where they can be taken down before winter without too much difficulty.

-John

mride460

I sell a hooded gutter system that has a lifetime transferable warranty against clogging and pulling loose from the fascia. We have installed on many homes with your same issues and all of the homeowners are very happy.
The snow and ice from a steel or asphalt roof slides right off the aluminum hood.
Our gutter is the only hooded system on the market that is fastened 12" on center to the fascia and the hood goes up under the drip edge instead of under the roofing material.
Anything that goes under the roofing material voids the roof warranty!! Ours goes between the fascia and the drip edge.

We would be thrilled to come up and install our product on the JD cabin this coming spring for trade on a little bit of advertising.. We do 40 colors and real copper.

Attachments

• IMG_20101102_133440.jpg
    IMG_20101102_133440.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Pictures.jpg
    Pictures.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20101102_110418.jpg
    IMG_20101102_110418.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

gator800r

Thanks.

That would be great. I don't know if Sikkens can be sprayed through a piston pump sprayer, but I have a brand new one sitting in the shop. I had hoped it would work and then I could just finish the job by going over it with a brush as I go.

I guess only one way to find out!

-John

John

I sprayed my log cabin with Sikkens and piston pump sprayer and it worked great. You should have no problems. It works best to have one person spraying with another right behind them back brushing it in. I was very happy with sikkens. Im sure you already know, but the key is in the prep work. If your exterior is properly cleaned and prepped you will be amazed when done. My advice is take the extra time and really do a good job cleaning the ext. I used a mixture of T.S.P and bleach in a garden sprayer and then a deck brush to scrub it. I found that to work the best. The prep work is no fun and the hardest part but when done right you will be amazed when your finished.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks mride460

I may get in touch with you next spring to look into these.

-John

D

Deleted member 10829

I can see it now. One group working on cutting up the fire wood and another group prepping the wood on the house. Can the wood be prepped one day and stained the next? Just wondering how long it should dry in between.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
If the siding were already dry, then the staining could take place right after the prep work.

I have a couple of ideas as far as how to prep the wood and will experiment with them this spring and summer.

-Johh

D

Deleted member 10829

I know we have some time, but what time of the year would be best to get both jobs done? Also, how many bodies would be the right amount? I was thinking if we had about 6-8 people. We want enough but not too many.

arcticgeorge

I had mentioned this to John about a year and a half ago and suggested 2 or 3 feet of cultured stone would take care of that. My sister built a home in Tomahawk and had the same thing in the back of her home.

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking late August or early Sept would be best. Not too hot (usually), but still warm enough to be able to get going on the work early in the am and work into the evening. Plus still plenty of light then.

6-8 would probably cut it.

-John

D

Deleted member 10829

I am thinking late August or early Sept would be best. Not too hot (usually), but still warm enough to be able to get going on the work early in the am and work into the evening. Plus still plenty of light then.

6-8 would probably cut it.

-John

I'm guessing we don't want it to be too cold for the Sikkens either. You will have to order your wood a litte earlier next year! rp7x and I will be in touch with you next summer and will get a group together. Anyone reading this and interested, please PM me.