Your M?

xsledder

Hi John,

I'l looking at a '12 XF 800 and I know you had a '12 M 800. (I also know you are not that brand loyal that I can get honest answers about it without all brand-blind answers or bashing I would get if I was to put it out on your discussion board.) I know their not exactly alike but their close enough in chassis and engine to give me some guidance. What did you like about it from a maintenance and operating stance? What didn't you like about it from and maintenance and operating stance? Was it difficult to work on, i.e. do you have to take half if it apart to change spark plugs or service the valves. Was it easy to remove and install the rear suspension? Can you get to adjustable items and adjustment without a lot of "things" in your way? How was the fuel mileage, reasonable or used more than you thought it should for the power and conditions? Was the power there or did it need more? Reasonable wear on wear bars, belts, and hy-fax? Thanks.

(Again, I know there not exactly alike but the chassis and engines are close enough that most of my questions are about similar items between the two. Notice, I didn't ask about trail handling, deep snow performance, or other questions where they are substantially different. Also, I'm not looking for bashing, just honest experience with ownership.)

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you are right about me not being brand biased! I truly believe that the past year or two have seen some of the best sleds all around by each of the 4 making them.

I do have the 2012 M, but am also riding the 2013 Crossfire High Country this year.

I also have to say that I have not done any major work on either of them. With that said, the new chassis does require a lot more work to get at the whole engine. The old M's had the one piece hood that you just swing open and can just about do anything you need to. The new chassis has about 5 panels (4 side and 1 top) that need to be removed to get at all of the engine. Belt changes, clutch work and adding oil can be done by removing one of two side panels and they are easy to remove. The other two side panels and top panel require a bit more work, but are still not a huge job and do not require any tools.

Ever since riding an EFI sled, I have yet to ever have to change a spark plug. I guess that is just one of the MANY benefits to EFI over carbs! With that said, the 800 HO's do have 4 spark plugs and the two lower ones do require you to take the pipe off to get at them.

I have not personally removed the suspension, so not sure how hard that is, but looking at it, it does not look like it would be any harder than your typical sled. Adjustment of the shocks is easy with the air shocks. Just pump in as much pressure as you want, or remove air for a softer feel.

The 2012's initially came with a belt that did not hold up too well. I never blew mine, but I did get one for free as part of a replacement offer from Cat. I have not had any issues with the new one either and heard it was a good fix for that issue. Gas mileage is satisfactory for an 800 HO motor. You will run out sooner than the 600's, E-techs, and 4 strokers, but still be able to hang with all the other 800 2 strokes.

I will say that since swapping out the longer a-arms on this years crossfire with the narrower mountain a-arms, I love the crossfire highcountry! If I were Cat, I would definitely make the narrower stance an option or standard fare on the high country. Perfect Midwest boondocking sled if you ask me.

My only nit picking would be two things that changed for the negative with the new chassis.

1) Filling the oil reservoir is a pain. The reservoir is tucked up too far to get at easily with removing just the one side panel. You either have to slowly pour in and stop just in time as the oil fills the final 1/2" to prevent an overflow or take more panels off to be able to see down into the reservoir and add more easily.
2) The old M's had a nice big neck for the gas tank. Made it very friendly for filling at a station and by hand with tanks. The new chassis is the smaller neck, like most other sleds, and also has a piece of plastic inside the tank on the front, which can cause you to splash gas when filling.

Both of those are not huge deals, but seem like issues that could be fixed pretty easy and would make owning the sled that much more pleasurable.

So I guess the bottom line is I have not experienced any issues that would make me shy away from the new chassis. On the trail is is head and shoulders above the old chassis and off trail is different than the old, but just takes some time to get used to things and then I liked it as much as the old- especially when I went to the shorter a-arms.

-John

xsledder

Thanks John,

When you swapped the a-arms on the HC, did you have to change the tie rod too and could you reuse all the hardware? Did the original shocks fit or did you have to replace them too?