zrt won't turn left

blvette

1997 zrt 600 won't turn left bought it this way last year now trying to fix, looks like something maybe at the bottom up the steering post, is there a easy way to access this or any other info would be great

mezz

Right handed ZRT

I am going to assume that both skis are able to turn right, so, it sounds like it could be a tie rod, or drag link, you will have to look it over under the hood, could possibly be the steering post mount that has come loose. It's kind of hard to tell soley by looking at a parts fiche. Let us know what you find.-Mezz

jimfsr

Check in the front of the bulkhead and make sure the bolt for the drag link is clearing the frame. If this gets bent or comes loose, it will rub or jamb on the frame. Also possible on these older cats, the cast motor mounts can break and jamb the drag link. Check those real good with a light, and look for cracks, or chunks missing. Try to move the motor around in the frame, it shouldn't move.

maddog24

Make sure there isn't something that fell down around steering end. I dropped a spark plug down in there on my 95 ZRT 800 and it locked my steering where I couldn't steer one direction.

we had the same problem as maddog a couple years ago. a guy in our group forgot to put his oil cap back on and it went down into the steering and would only turn one way. not a fun fix on trail in below zero temps. so i would check to see if something fell down there. check from above first if you cant see any thing remove belly pan

reaper969x

Check the direction of the spindle bolts. I put my zr on the lift and it would lock full right. I had the skid plate off, the airbox out, assumed something was jacked with the steering. Well turns out when I installed the upper a-arm I put the bolt in backwards. At full droop the tie rod was hanging on the bolt. Thats and hour of my life I'll never get back.

blvette

took the metal pan off the bottom, bar that went across took a hard hit at one time, bent that back and now turn fully both ways. thanks for all the advice