Above the Law...LOL

snoden

Bottom line (yeah, I'll get flamed but that's okay) : If you don't drink and ride, you never have to worry about having too much, and/or finding yourself in this situation.
Never were words spoken so true! My thoughts after watching the video, first they already had to many when they started their ride at 4 PM. Now the lies, they were lost, had their last drink at 10 (maybe 10 minutes ago) and passed their field sobriety test. I'm just glad our group is done riding for the day when a majority of these types start coming out for their rides.

pclark

The stories that both were saying did not not match up and the one guy's speech sounded fairly slurred. I thought the ER cop did a great, professional job handling them. I liked the fact that he said "I have to do my job, I can't put my job in jepardy". We also ride alcohol free until we get back and park them for the day. Not saying everyone has to do that but clearly these guys were past the limit. I'm sure they leaned their lesson and will think twice about it when they ride again.

indy_500

The stories that both were saying did not not match up and the one guy's speech sounded fairly slurred. I thought the ER cop did a great, professional job handling them. I liked the fact that he said "I have to do my job, I can't put my job in jepardy". We also ride alcohol free until we get back and park them for the day. Not saying everyone has to do that but clearly these guys were past the limit. I'm sure they leaned their lesson and will think twice about it when they ride again.
My thoughts exactly. I watched the entire thing. I think the ER Cops did an excellent job. The first offenders speech was most definitely slurred. They didn’t seem wasted but definitely too impaired to be driving. But, I did NOT notice them act any differently because of their job titles. Any old Joe who would’ve got pulled over at the same time, would’ve likely acted exactly the same way, upset, frustrated, trying to convince them they’re fine and want to go on their way. Do you really think most perpetrators spill the beans and tell 100% of the truth in this scenario? Absolutely not

dfattack

My thoughts exactly. I watched the entire thing. I think the ER Cops did an excellent job. The first offenders speech was most definitely slurred. They didn’t seem wasted but definitely too impaired to be driving. But, I did NOT notice them act any differently because of their job titles. Any old Joe who would’ve got pulled over at the same time, would’ve likely acted exactly the same way, upset, frustrated, trying to convince them they’re fine and want to go on their way. Do you really think most perpetrators spill the beans and tell 100% of the truth in this scenario? Absolutely not
Except they are law enforcement and I can’t tell you how many cop shows I’ve seen where the cops are always saying things would go much easier and maybe get off with a warning if you just cooperated and told the truth That didn’t happen.

ICT Sledder

Unless you're being stopped for a minor traffic infraction or something similar, you should keep your trap shut when an LEO is investigating something related to your own (potentially asinine) actions. Give them the bare minimum that is legally required, and then invoke the fifth and let your attorney handle it from there. Absolutely nothing good comes beyond that. They are asking you questions to further their own case against you, not having a casual conversation.

Not speaking from experience - I'm afraid I'm not that interesting - just common sense. And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited:

ddhanna

Unless you're being stopped for a minor traffic infraction or something similar, you should keep your trap shut when an LEO is investigating something related to your own (potentially asinine) actions. Give them the bare minimum that is legally required, and then invoke the fifth and let your attorney handle it from there. Absolutely nothing good comes beyond that. They are asking you questions to further their own case against you, not having a casual conversation.

Not speaking from experience - I'm afraid I'm not that interesting - just common sense. And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
And when asked if you have been drinking, the answer is always NO unless you like taking the test.

SHOOT2KILL

UPDATE...ALL CHARGES HAVE BEEN DISMISSED FOR BOTH OFFICERS BY THE VILAS COUNTY PROSECUTOR AND CIRCUIT COURT JUDGE...BOTH ARRESTS HAVE BEEN EXPUNGED...YOOOO....OFFICER STORMBRINGER WHAT U SAY NOW...

indy_500

UPDATE...ALL CHARGES HAVE BEEN DISMISSED FOR BOTH OFFICERS BY THE VILAS COUNTY PROSECUTOR AND CIRCUIT COURT JUDGE...BOTH ARRESTS HAVE BEEN EXPUNGED...YOOOO....OFFICER STORMBRINGER WHAT U SAY NOW...
Not entirely true… not sure your source as I didn’t see anything in the news, but it is public record…

Officer Todd lauer was dismissed of the following: 1. operate snowmobile failure to comply signs 2. Operate snowmobile while intoxicated BUT he was charged with: 1. operate snowmobile with PAC

Officer Shawn barker was dismissed of the following: 1. Operate snowmobile while intoxicated BUT he was charged with: 1. Snowmobile refuse breathalyzer 2. Operate snowmobile failure to comply signs.

SHOOT2KILL

Not entirely true… not sure your source as I didn’t see anything in the news, but it is public record…

Officer Todd lauer was dismissed of the following: 1. operate snowmobile failure to comply signs 2. Operate snowmobile while intoxicated BUT he was charged with: 1. operate snowmobile with PAC

Officer Shawn barker was dismissed of the following: 1. Operate snowmobile while intoxicated BUT he was charged with: 1. Snowmobile refuse breathalyzer 2. Operate snowmobile failure to comply signs.
Here's a cut n paste from the Wi Dept of Justice website...Everything was amended after the original convictions...
All charges against Shawn P Barker in this case have been dismissed. These charges were not proven and have no legal effect. Shawn P Barker is presumed innocent...
All charges against Todd Joseph Lauer in this case have been dismissed. These charges were not proven and have no legal effect. Todd Joseph Lauer is presumed innocent.

All the cases were cross-referenced together...The documents list the original charges that were ALL dismissed...

Last edited:

euphoric1

oh goody... another slap on the wrist...I'm sure they learned their lesson (wink,wink). Thankfully they were only ignoring signage (wink,wink) and neither them or anyone else were harmed in the process and I'm sure they will be just as lenient when doing their job and enforcing the law as well.

Last edited:

ragsled

Not sure where you are looking but the wcca.wicourts.gov site shows the Operate Snowmobile while intoxicated was dismissed for Baker but he pleaded guilty for 2 other charges. The below is a cut and paste from that website.

Vilas County Case Number 2023FO000259 County of Vilas vs. Shawn P Barker​

The defendant Shawn P Barker was found guilty of the following charge(s) in this case.
  • Snowmobiler Refuse/Breathalyzer. This is not a criminal offense and results only in a money penalty for this offense.

Vilas County Case Number 2023FO000258 County of Vilas vs. Shawn P Barker​

The defendant Shawn P Barker was found guilty of the following charge(s) in this case.
  • Operate Snowmobile-Fail/Comply Signs. This is not a criminal offense and results only in a money penalty for this offense.

Lauer had 2 charges dismissed and entered a No Contest plea to the Operating a Snowmobile with Prohibited Alcohol Concentration

Typical results for 1st time offenses with clean records. Their respective departments may hold them to higher standards but to the legal system they were treated like ordinary citizens.

stormbringer

Don't believe I have to say much at all-pretty accurately stated in the April 11 post what was going to happen. Lauer provided a breath sample, was found guilty of operating with a prohibited alcohol concentration and assessed his $641 fine. Barker refused chemical testing, and was found guilty of that, and assessed the $641 fine for that.