Ski's

samc

Looking for some information on a good set of ski's for off trail riding but that can still do good on trial. Any advise would be appreciated.

ezra

what sled it makes a diff. BTW going to the demo derby at the carver county fair tonight?

samc

what sled it makes a diff. BTW going to the demo derby at the carver county fair tonight?
Was at the demo, to bad it was cut short. Did you go?
The sled is an IQr - 06. I think I might just put on some RMK skis and be done with it. They should just bold on.

ezra

my buds kid has a Iqr he tried the powder pro did not like so he went with slydog and really likes. yes I went to demo I split right after the trucks I was watching the rain cloud moving in and I had left the top down on the car so I did not want to chance it good thing it started raining just as I got to the car.on my xfire I have tried the sly dog the powder pro the c&a xt but I still like the cat M ski the best 2nd the sly dog 3rd powder pro and the c&a xt are way to hard core killed my for arms

samc

Now you've given me more to think about. I'm going to have to check out the Sly Dogs and the RMK skis'.
It's to bad the rain moved in but still a good time and the beer was ok.

Check out MODS skis too. Made in Grantsburg, WI. Lots of Western riders speak (on snowest/BCR/Dootalk) very highly of them. I'll be riding with power hounds this year. My brother had them on his extended 151" switchback and you could tell a noticeably better ride from stock as far as float-ability and steering control (but then a switchy is a narrower ski than a rmk). I'm hoping the same dif. will be felt on my summit. I bent one of my stock skis on my doo so bad it has a permanent kink in it; I needed a replacement set.

Looking for some information on a good set of ski's for off trail riding but that can still do good on trial. Any advise would be appreciated.

I think the gen. 1 simmons are very hard to beat for trail and off trail.I have a 136" sx-r 700 which I ride off and on trail, the stock skis suck, they push alot and are like submarines in the snow.After those I tried slp slt skis which were an improvement overall, but pushed in corners and only floated a little better off trail.The simmons really float good and carve like crazy on trails with no push, the steerings a little heavy, but not too bad and I got used to it.You may really like these skis and they have been around long enough that it wouldn't be very hard to find a used set at a good price.

samc

Crawford - Thank you for the good info. Will have to see if I can find a set to look over at Haydays1

dafuzz

I second the praises regarding Simmons Gen 1's. I ride an RMK 151 so it really likes to push a lot but with the Gen 1s, no more problems. These skis are the ultimate all around ski, they work great off trail in the deep stuff and are really nice on trail with 2 6" carbides per ski. I tried all kinds before these including Polaris Grippers, Powder Pro's, Slydogs, C&A MTX, none compared. Slydogs look really cool and powder pro's were ok in the deep but Simmons originals won out. The only downside is that they are more expensive when it comes time to replace carbides due to two per ski. Try em and you'll like em.

1st gen simmons all the way, I ride a 2007 rmk 144 and I will always have simmons on my snowmachine. Trail or off trail they are awesome. you can not go wrong. Should be lots to see and buy at hay days.

johnmaster

Regardless what you get remember to order the mount kit for a standard (edge) polaris. The spindle end on that sled is the old style and the IQ mounts will not fit. They didnt change them until 09 or 10 finally with the Holz style spindles on the newer racers.

John Preiser
www.johnmaster.net

indy_500

my buds kid has a Iqr he tried the powder pro did not like so he went with slydog and really likes. yes I went to demo I split right after the trucks I was watching the rain cloud moving in and I had left the top down on the car so I did not want to chance it good thing it started raining just as I got to the car.on my xfire I have tried the sly dog the powder pro the c&a xt but I still like the cat M ski the best 2nd the sly dog 3rd powder pro and the c&a xt are way to hard core killed my for arms

wimpy wimpy wimpy!

C&A's test your strength ;)

Firecatguy

Check out MODS skis too. Made in Grantsburg, WI. Lots of Western riders speak (on snowest/BCR/Dootalk) very highly of them. I'll be riding with power hounds this year. My brother had them on his extended 151" switchback and you could tell a noticeably better ride from stock as far as float-ability and steering control (but then a switchy is a narrower ski than a rmk). I'm hoping the same dif. will be felt on my summit. I bent one of my stock skis on my doo so bad it has a permanent kink in it; I needed a replacement set.

thats the way to go right there alot good reports on Lances skis!!!!!

samc

I wonder how the MOD SKI's handle the trail, the price isn't that bad. I know Simmons are pretty good on trail and off. Pulled the sleds out to start working on them so it's time to figure this out and start parting with some $.

cooksend

USI X2 Triple threats are the most tunable ski out and work better in changing snow conditions than anything else I have run!