02 700 Viper

garageguy

Going to be working on a Viper, not a Yamaha guy. Sled runs poorly,over heats and goes through antifreeze, 7000 mi. on it. I'm thinking head gaskets. Any other suggestions??

blkhwkbob

I had a Viper.

1. Cleaning carbs is a way of life for Yamaha owners. There are great step-by-step instructions at totallyamaha.com in the tech section. 2. They run hot. Most people add a rear heat exchanger, if it doesn't have one. 3. Shouldn't be hard to figure out where the coolant is going. 4. If you take off the airbox, it is a PITA to get the carb boots back on. Loosen the clamps all the way, tilt the engine up, and push the airbox on at the same time.

garageguy

Started working on the sled, seems to run ok, no visible coolant leaks. Driver of the sled is a big guy so that may explain the overheating. Plugs look dark brown, Compression is 110 in the center 105 on the outside jugs. Does anyone know what would be good compression on the Viper with 8500 mi. on it??

dawolf

Garageguy,

Compression can be a tricky thing as gauges vary so much. You're close across the board so that is a good thing, but the absolute numbers are a little low IMO.

The best thing you can do for yourself is go to www.totallyamaha.com and start posting to the SRX/Viper forum.

My Viper wouldn't still be running without that site. Everyone on there is super helpful.

Sorry to plug another site Mr. Dee, but it's a big help.