02 XC 500 Front suspension

dereks2623

I recently purchased a 2002 XC 500. When i I bought the sled it leaned to the left. I bought a good pair of used fox front shocks for it and installed them tonight. Once i set the sled back on the ground it still leans to the left. If i get on the sled and lean to the right there is no give at all. When i lean to the left there is lots of play. The ski's are toed out alot too. The front (from were we measured) is 38.5 and the rear was 35.5. Me and my father looked and looked for a couple of hours this evening trying to figure it out and came up with blanks. Any help in this matter would be GREATLY!!! appreciated! thank you. If anyone needs anymore info at all please ask me and i will get it to you as soon as i can!!!

ohning1971

I think you may have a trailing arm or link-arm, (when I say link arm I mean the arms that run perpendicular to skis that attach to chasis and spindle, sorry not familar with your set up exactly), bound up at bushing or heims joint. Had a similar problem a couple of years ago with a sled I bought that was like new but had set for years. We noticed it was not sitting straight in the front while on a sledding trip, two days and a few hundred miles later the link arm broke, it was not pivoting at the chasis end on its joint it was flexing the arm which caused it to fatique and break at a weld. With no shock on and your sway bar unhooked you should be able to move ski in its normal range of motion, sounds like the right side is stuck down. Don't know if I'm on the right page but something to look at.

dereks2623

It is the edge suspension on the sled. That does sound like what it is doing too. Because when we get on it there is the full range of motion on the left. But on the right it goes maybe an inch and will not go down anyfarther at all. How do i fix this problem? i guess with out having to fork out lots of cash to a dealer?

ohning1971

I'd take the link arms off and check all the joints or bushing out to make sure nothing is froze up on either end of the arms. If you take the arms off at the spindle side you should be able to move them freely up and down. If you were able to change the shocks you shouldn't have a problem taking the arms off. May have to replace a bushing or joint--no big deal. P.S. Don't worry about your toe until you get the suspension figured out!

polarisrider1

dereks2623, can you post pics. I have 3 ideas of what it is. 2 are not good. If you wish e-mail me pics. of front view, right side suspension pics. include sway bar and the plastic part it sticks into on trailing arm. for now. amake sure that plastis part slides back and forth when you lean on sled. (This is the easy fix item) If it moves then send me a pic from straight on from the back aiming forward and a side pic of both sides.