'03 Pro-X 600 Engine Trouble, Advice???

scottd

I was up at our camp this weekend and got the sleds out to clean them up, grease suspension, etc (yeah, yeah a little late). I started my '03 Pro-X 600 and it sounded funny (running on one cylinder). The clutch side was cold so I pulled the plug and there was coolant on it. Here is what is odd to me..... The last time we rode in March everything was fine. The coolant is still full so it must have just happened. I cannot remember exactly, but I think I had run my machines at Memorial Day and let them idle for a few minutes. Nowhere near long enough that they could have overheated I wouldn't think? I usually feel the head until they are getting pretty warm and that's it, so again I cannot believe I hurt it then. From what I could see the plug looked like it was probably pretty good otherwise and the piston looks dark. My guess would be that it's just a head gasket but does that make sense that it could happen like that? Sled has 2700 miles on it. I am thinking I will get a head gasket and bring it next time I go up (Labor Day) and hope that is it. Thoughts/advice?

Thanks,
Scott

scottd

To add I ordered a top end gasket set and figure maybe I should just pull the carbs, exhaust, and cylinders and do both the base and head gaskets (assuming everything does otherwise seem fine when pulling the head off). Would anyone disagree with this approach and I assume I can do this without pulling the engine out?

Thanks,
Scott

ubee

I would pull motor,slit cases,check crank bearings, anti freeze not user friendly to bearings ,just to be safe1

slimcake

Are you sure it was coolant?? What about condensation?? Could have bad gas which would have water in it and sitting in the crankcase?? Did you try a new plug to see if it helped?? If the fluid level is fine I would pressure test the coolant system before tearing apart a motor. I had a 03 with 9k miles with out a single problem. Just my 2 cents.

scottd

It was green on the spark plug. I plan to throw in new plugs and retorque cylinder base and head bolts and see if that helps first. If no luck then head gasket. There could not be hardly any coolant in there (yet) so I am not getting anywhere near as drastic as a pulling the entire engine apart unless I need to. It only has 2700 or so miles.

Scott

scottd

The seal by the impeller or the gasket that the waterpump housing mounts onto the case? How hard is that to get to? (the machine is 400 miles away so I cannot look to easy)

Scott

D

Deleted member 10829

rp7x helped me fix mine on a 2002 600. It was easiest to take the engine out and we needed to borrow a tool from the local Polaris dealer to set the new seal in place. rp7x did most of the work, I just assisted.