05 polaris FST problems... conversion???

snadoramac4

So I have an 06 Polaris Classic FST (turbo 4 stroke).... Few weeks ago successfully Toasted the motor.... later to find out that this is a common problem with this motor. FANTASTIC.... and of course bought it and the warranty was expired.......sooooooo, 2 options, either sell it (if you interested let me know sled is in fantastic shape just locked up motor) or put a liberty 600 in it.... any one know if this is a fairly easy thing to do. i figure i can find a used 600 and through it in. I have a 07 IQ with the 600 and love the motor, so just brainstorming some options and thought i would ask some advice let me know what you think!!

raceinsnow

I have an FST and I can tell you that there is no common motor problem with them.I can say that 06 was the first year for that sled and it had some issues.Do you know what exactly happened?You would be better off selling the sled for parts then trying to fit a 2 smoke motor in that sled.

snadoramac4

Well the sled was brought to a Polaris dealer after this happened by the individual that owns it and the dealer told him he has had 6 in already this season with locked up motors just like this. It hasn't been opened up yet but the motor is locked up will not turn over at all. We were riding and the thing all of a sudden had no power almost like it was gonna lose a belt so we towed it to the next stop and it was fired up rode about a block seemed all good then all of a sudden just cut off thats the info right now.....Wont be able to open her up for a while just wanted to get some ideas.

raceinsnow

I am still not buying that 6 of them locked up the same way(maybe the 800s).Was there oil in the motor?I would believe that an oil hose got cut/chaffed and the oil leaked out and the motor locked up.I would like some more details if you can get them.Like I said before that the 06 had some problems and hose and wire routing were one of the problems.

D

Deleted member 10829

I'm not sure I believe the 6 figure either. It could be many things, but I think you need to have it looked at to make sure. I have over 10,300 miles on my 2006 FST Classic, and yes, there were some first year non-engine issues, but I have not had one problem with that engine. I'm not saying there hasn't been an engine failure out there, but I read lots of stuff on snowmobiles, and I haven't read about any. Let us know what you find out.

Sno-Bandit Gary

Has anyone checked out the site Polarisfiles.com ? This is a forum site just for Polaris owners. If you look under the forum tab and click on the FST thread, these gear heads know this FST stuff inside and out. It's a great tool for helping us average guys figure this stuff out. They are great at answering your questions.

Gary

snadoramac4

The Motor had oil it did not leak out.... there was water and fuel in the oil though very easy to detect from the oil fill. again hasn't been completely diagnosed not sure when i'm going to have a chance to get up there and check it out next. that's why i'm posting to see what you all have heard or experienced again any ideas on the conversion. not sure that's what the solution is but it was an idea

raceinsnow

I am a member on polaris files and I have not herd of this happening.As for putting a 2 stroke motor in the FST chassis You will have to change way to much that it would be cheaper to sell for parts and buy something else.I will start a list of problems with this;fuel pump,bulk head,motor mounts,chain case,clutches,belly pan on exhaust side,steering post.I not saying it can't be done but it would be a nightmare.

snadoramac4

Raceinsnow that is what I am looking for Like i've been saying i haven't really had a chance to look in there much after coming up with these few thoughts and wanted to get some others inputs. thanks for the knowledge

lukester

snadoramac4
The previous posts are right on.
The FSTs had some hose/wire routing issues in its 06 models. Beside these minor issues the FST is dam near bulletproof.
I've owned three of them and have 15,000+ miles under my belt with no engine problems whatsoever.
The Weber engine the FST employ's is rock solid and capable of far more then its "stock" form.
Owners are in fact moding them into 200+HP monsters proving them both powerful and dependable engines.
If you have a engine problem rest assure it is totally uncommon..Just bad luck.
This dealer tells you he has 6 bad FSTs..... Come on .. WHO is this dealer????

Go to Polarisfiles and read on. The truth will set you free...LOL

You came here looking for advise. OK here it comes.
#1 My advise would be to find an honest dealer.Maybe one that SELLS FSTs instead of one that condemns them to death.
#2 When you find a competent dealer decide whether you want to dump 10-15,000$ to be riding a 2011 model...... OR.
Have the FST repaired and ride it 15-20,000+ miles and smile.