06/500ss fuel mileage

larrydoo

Just wondering about what everybody is getting for fuel mileage. regular trail riding.I know that riding/conditions vary.Because i have an 08 800 r. Family trail riding 30-50 mph. i get about 20 mpg. Thank you.

longtrack

All I can tell you is the 500ss will use about 1 Gallon of Gas more than a 600 ETEK or 1200 4TEK in a 100 mile ride. Oil consumption is double a ETEK. My guess is it uses a little less Gas than a 800 but it may be the same or close. Both the 500ss and the 800R Smoke more than I like.

Actual Mileage varies to much to quote. You have to ride under the same conditions to do a comparision.

famousguy

Just wondering about what everybody is getting for fuel mileage. regular trail riding.I know that riding/conditions vary.Because i have an 08 800 r. Family trail riding 30-50 mph. i get about 20 mpg. Thank you.

I have an 07 500ss that my son rides. He generally gets around 14 with it.

srt20

A buddy has a 2010 TNT 600 (500 ss motor) he gets about 12mpg riding hard on the trails.

salmonbum

I have both, an 09 800r gade and a 07 500ss. Riding with the girlfriend (500ss) on trails at that 30-50mph pace, we are just about dead even on gas and oil. We generally get 16-17 mpg on trails. Sometimes I'm better by a hair, other times she is. I think thats weather dependent (I have DPM) and if I "play" with the throttle while falling back. Oil is the exact same, which is 40:1. If your burning more than this then your not adjusted right. Don't blame the sled if it uses more, blame the mechanic.

On a side note, the 500ss used to get 18 mpg, but the 07 and newer have a lean midrange. I fattened that up by shimming the neddles .020:, fuel screw out another half turn, run 10 for plugs instead of 9's, and run premium fuel.

Again, these numbers are trail riding at a cruising pace, normally with a group. Number decrease when run faster, off trail etc, but you asked for the 30-50 mph range.

snowlover

On our 2005 500SS my wife has gotten 19 mpg. When i ride it the average is around 14 mpg. I have gotten 17 mpg a few times. This is a wonderful motor. Ours went down with 9000 miles but no problems up to that. I am going to rebuild it this summer and hope to get another 9000 miles out of it. I would definately buy another one!